PDA

View Full Version : How about a canning/freezing list?

Kittikity
09-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I know nothing about canning and only a little about freezing.. I know beans, peas, broccoli, and cauliflower can be frozen.. I'd like to see a list of things that can be canned and things that can be frozen.. Maybe even a list of anything that can be done both ways.. I also don't know anything about methods, but that could be another thread..

gardengirl72
09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Kitti,

I use my pressure canner more than my freezer. Some veggies I freeze, but my freezer is mainly for my meat and fish. I just finished shooting some video on this, that will be ready for a sneak preview in the next few weeks. Frankly canning is really easy! Sounds scary but really isn't. I'll show you soon.

Kittikity
09-08-2008, 03:27 AM
More equipment to buy? One of the things I was looking forward to with the freezing was only having to buy baggies.. lol Not trying to be cheap.. Just on a very tight budget and not much support for my farming efforts from "family members".. Especially when I have to buy extra stuff.. Haven't even mentioned the meat grinder I'm going to have to buy.. If a pressure canner isn't too much, I can always sneak it in later.. "Yeah hunny, I already told you I was getting that.."

He's not a bad guy.. Just doesn't believe that this farm thing will work and the fact that it's costing us money we don't really have to spend.. I just need to get it started and prove them all wrong..

AbbeyLehman
09-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Do you have a pressure COOKER? Or someone who does that you can borrow for a day or two? I know it's not a long-term solution, but some (not all!!) pressure COOKERS CAN be used as pressure CANNERS--read the manual to find out if yours can be used as such. Mine can, and that's how I found out that I DEFINITELY want to buy a pressure CANNER. I used some pint jars I got off Craigslist for $1 per dozen and some dry beans & water. It was an experiment cheap enough that I wouldn't have felt bad if it failed...But it worked! Something to think about, if you can beg or borrow enough to try it out....

I also like that canning doesn't require any further energy consumption after the initial processing, something important should the power go out!

Phantomfyre
09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I prefer certain things frozen over canned: peas, corn, broccoli, etc., but there are some things that are better and/or easier to store canned: some fruits, tomatoes, etc. It's also true that once you've canned something, you don't have to worry about the power going out and losing it in the freezer. And you don't have to pay for electricity to run a shelving unit like you do a freezer. If you run out of room in the freezer, then you have to get another one. ;) So Kitti, tell hubby that buying a canner will SAVE money in the long run. I'd get a pressure canner because you can can more things in it, and it can do double-duty as a water bath canner (just don't lock the lid down). Trust me, if you think you'll like preserving food, you'll want a pressure canner eventually. But, to save money in the meantime, and if you just want to water bath can, any pot that's deep enough to hold enough water to cover the jars by 1-2" will work as a water bath canner. Just be sure to find a wire rack (a baker's cooling rack works) to set the jars on so they don't rest directly on the bottom of the pot. Also, watch eBay, thrift stores and garage sales for used canning equipment - you can save a bundle that way!!!

AbbeyLehman
09-08-2008, 12:02 PM
I prefer certain things frozen over canned: peas, corn, broccoli, etc., but there are some things that are better and/or easier to store canned: some fruits, tomatoes, etc. It's also true that once you've canned something, you don't have to worry about the power going out and losing it in the freezer. And you don't have to pay for electricity to run a shelving unit like you do a freezer. If you run out of room in the freezer, then you have to get another one. ;) So Kitti, tell hubby that buying a canner will SAVE money in the long run. I'd get a pressure canner because you can can more things in it, and it can do double-duty as a water bath canner (just don't lock the lid down). Trust me, if you think you'll like preserving food, you'll want a pressure canner eventually. But, to save money in the meantime, and if you just want to water bath can, any pot that's deep enough to hold enough water to cover the jars by 1-2" will work as a water bath canner. Just be sure to find a wire rack (a baker's cooling rack works) to set the jars on so they don't rest directly on the bottom of the pot. Also, watch eBay, thrift stores and garage sales for used canning equipment - you can save a bundle that way!!!

Yeah, that! :) LOL

plantoneonme
09-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Also see if there is a local freecycle in your area....it is amazing the things people give away. You can post a wanted list for different canning items from jars to canners.

One thing really easy to start with are tomatoes, fruit and jelly. You don't need a pressure canner for these items. They are done by the Water Bath Canning Method. I am sure a google search will give you tons of information.

For me it is easier to freeze since I can do smaller batches in less time. For example I usually only get enough fresh tomatoes to do 1-2 quarts at a time. I peel, chop, strain off some seeds and then strain off the juice. I them put them into those square rubbermaid disposable containers and freeze. Since I also keep them longer term, I then transfer to foodsaver bags, seal and throw back into the freezer (you can also ask on freecycle for a foodsaver and bags). I also freeze the juice which makes a nice base for some of my soups. Kim

PJJ
09-14-2008, 05:11 AM
I got 13, quart Mason jars last week from our local recycle center. I went in to drop off my recyclables and right there in the clear glass were 13 jars and several more rings. They all looked like brand new! I asked the guy working there if I could buy them. He said, "if you want them you can have them". He climbed in the dumpster and got them out for me. (By the way, the dumpster and all glass are clean.) I would have never thought of looking there for something to take home. They sell all that stuff.

I know it's not a pressure canner but I was stoked! I brought them right home and ran them through my dishwasher on sterlize. They are now in my pantry waiting to be used.

I'll definetly be checking things out a little closer when I go in there from now on. You just never know what you might find.

And free is ALWAYS good!!:)

AbbeyLehman
09-14-2008, 05:15 AM
WOO HOO!!! Score! And welcome!!!!!!!!!!

gardengirl72
09-14-2008, 10:19 AM
A True Sustainable Victory!

RogueAPBT
09-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Nice find, PJ!

For the OP, check your cookbook. Mine has instructions for putting up all kinds of food by canning or freezing. I freeze fruits and veggies a lot, since I prefer those to canned, and the frozen fruit is mainly for protein shakes and smoothies.

Cheryl

PJJ
09-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the welcome Abbey. Appreciate the info Cheryl.

I used to have a big garden and can tons of fruits and veggies. I also had milk goats, chickens, rabbits, pigs and horses. As my 3 daughters all became school age, I went to work. Sad to say but my garden, canning and animals were left behind. :(

My girls are all grown and on their own now. Since I'm no longer working, it's time to get back to the basics of gardening and canning. I have health issues that would prevent me from having a garden like I used to. I simply can't do the bending and stooping required.

I came upon Patti's website a few weeks ago. I LOVE the raised beds!!! Using raised beds will mean I and my Mother will be able to have a garden!! Of course we'll have to make our beds a little higher to prevent too much bending but......We will have a garden. :D

We're also going to make the chicken tractors for the raised beds. I got 20 chicks at our local Orschelns farm store Saturday. They are soooooo darned cute. I LOVE them!

AbbeyLehman
09-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Awesome!! I'm using the raised bed idea for my disabled MIL, too--she wants to garden very badly but is on oxygen 24/7 and simply can't go out there and still do something. *Her* raised beds will be built into the new deck I am planning, so she won't even have to go into the yard...She is SO excited.

It's like a new lease on life, isn't it???

gardengirl72
09-23-2008, 08:24 AM
You may want to consider building raised beds that are on legs and way off the ground. That will take most of the hassel of stooping and bending out of the garden.

It would take a day for a skilled carpenter to build them for you, or there are kits on line that have legs that make gardening wonderful and fun.

Garden Addict
12-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I used to do it for my Home fries. I would dig my potatoes (kenebeck i used to grow to jar) wash them slice as i liked (usually about 1/4" thick) put them in mason jars, cover with water ( i can't remember how much from the top, probably and inch) then seal them and put them in the pressure cooker. I think they took about an hour for (5) qt. jars. Once done i stored them and i know we ate them well over a year after jarring them and they still tasted great. The pressure cooker actually cooked them and when i drained the jar it was a matter of browning them. It was quick and the flavor was still awesome. I just added onions and a little fresh garlic, s&p and served them up.
I hope this helped.

gardengirl72
12-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I never thought of canning potato. And it totally would cook in the cooker. I love that idea. Too bad I have semi quit potato.

plantoneonme
12-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I never thought of canning potato. And it totally would cook in the cooker. I love that idea. Too bad I have semi quit potato.

If you grew just enough to can then you could cut back but still enjoy them as a treat once in a while. I could NEVER give up my potatoes...I really love them and would rather give up other starches such as bread, rice, pasta etc.

Kim

Garden Green
12-10-2008, 12:07 AM
I apologize for not getting to get this posted sooner.

It is probably easier to tell you what foods don't freeze well:

Leafy vegetables such as cabbage, celery, cress, cucumbers, endive, lettuces, fresh herbs, radishes, to name just a few. They just don't freeze well at all. They come out limp and water-logged and squishy. Some potatoes don't freeze well either, they end up mealy and well, yucky.

This isn't to say that you couldn't experiment with some of these in various stages of leaf production or chopped or flash frozen (good luck getting the liquid nitrogen for that). It would really depend but the general rule of thumb is no.

In most all cases, you want to freeze small pieces of whatever you're attempting to freeze. Stick an entire bell pepper in the freezer and then pull it out to thaw and see what happens vs cutting one into strips. There is a huge difference. Smaller pieces face less cell damage from the freezing/thawing process. So make sure to cut it up.

A lot of spices don't do well in the ice box either. They end up with a stronger taste that can over power or they become bitter. Pepper, cloves, garlic, green pepper, imitation vanilla are examples. Stuff like onion and paprika just plain don't taste the same after they've thawed. And to make sure that we're clear, this is raw, not cooked.

Cooked spices can often change their habits when in foods that are frozen, one example is that salt can actually increase rancidity in high fat items on top if losing it initial flavor. Ahem, not that anyone here has a lot of high fat items hanging around the fridge.

As for canning: There are suitable foods for different types of canning.

Fruits suitable for canning: pears, peaches, apricots, apples, plums, pineapple, cherries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries.

Vegetables suitable for canning: peas, corn, carrots, asparagus, tomatoes beans, beets

But then we have another entirely different world, preserving.

Fruits suitable for preserving: strawberries, large currants, plums, quince, grapes, gooseberries, blackberries, cranberries

Then there are jams: strawberries, plums, elderberries, grapes, raspberries, cranberries, blackberries, currants

And marmalades: apricot, plums, peaches, apple - sweet, sour crabapple, cranberry, grapefruit, lemon, quince, orange, yellow tomato

Butters: crabapple, quince, apple, grape

Conserves: plums, oranges, and lemon plums, lemon, raisins grapes, lemon raisins, rhubarb figs, rhubarb peach, lemon, orange peach, currants, lemon pears, lemon, ginger root prunes, lemon, orange orange, grapefruit, lemon kumquat, orange cranberries, lemon, raisins nuts in combination with any of the above

Jelly: Usually made from juicy fruits: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, plums, currants, grapes. Then there are the ones that are less juicy but still suitable: peaches, apricots, quince, cranberries, apples - sweet, sour, crabapple.

Pickling fruits and vegetables: tomatoes - red, yellow, blackberries, cucumbers, peaches, pears, peppers - red, green, green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, beets, onions

Fruits suitable for spicing are: blackberries, peaches, pears, red tomatoes

Fruits suitable for salting are: cucumbers, large and small

Fruits suitable for drying are: currants, grapes, peaches, pears, apricots, plums, prunes, cranberries, apples - sweet, sour, tomato

This by no means a complete list and I have recipes for canning that defy some of these guidelines. It's really all in experimentation.

I hope this helps!

Garden Addict
12-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I never had any problems with them. I'll do it again next year. I'm planning on 2 rows about 70' long so i should get a lot to eat, give away and can. i also canned new potatos that were about an inch or so in diameter. they did well also, i'll give a post next year and let you all know how it went.

Garden Addict
12-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Garden green, thanks for the great post. This is the kind of info i like. I wish the internet had been around 30 yrs. ago when i dug my first garden.

Garden Green
12-12-2008, 07:27 PM
You're welcome! I only wish I had more time to read on the net. So much information so little time. Especially when there is a garden and kids and work and.. well you get the picture.

MoniDew
12-12-2008, 11:41 PM
phenomenal post here, gang! GREAT information! Thank you!

PS, can we make the list itself a sticky?

Garden Green
12-13-2008, 10:03 AM
That's a great idea, if I only knew how to do that now...

I'm thinking we'll have to wait for Patti.