PDA

View Full Version : Fleas and Ducks.

Judy
01-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I have a problem with fleas outside- brought in by critters (squirrels I think). I was going to get ducks for bug control... but, does anyone know if ducks will eat fleas? Or if the fleas will harm the ducks. I wonder if anyone has any advice for controlling fleas naturally in general. Thanks!

Fred's Fine Fowl
01-04-2009, 09:47 AM
This is where I'm happy to be living in a northern climate...

Far fewer pests, like fleas to deal with outside, right now, they would be dealing with 10 degree temps. (">

Ducks... what has a greater cuteness factor than say.. call ducks? Problem is, they much prefer to dine on worms, slugs and bugs far larger than the flea. So, if that's the reason you are considering them, I think you would be dissappointed with the results... {"P

So, what does go after fleas and other tiny buglets?

Top of the chart, hands down, among domesticated fowl, none rival the tiny bug hunting capabilities of the African Guineas (domestic varieties of course). If you are rural, they will hunt bugs above all else and are often marketed as a control measure for ticks. They are great around gardens and plantings, as they do not scratch up your plants, nor feed on your veggies as would chickens.

Here is a link where you can see some of my guineas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIJ8cpFHm-8 with their baby keets.

Second on the list, would be chickens... chicks would be your best flea controllers, as they eat and concentrate on the tiniest insects, often too small for us to see at any distance.

Where are your fleas? I'd consider eliminating the environment where they have set up house. Because they spend most of their lives off the host, they are more difficult to "treat", so go after their environment. Bedding.. grass... females lay several eggs a day in bedding, litter or grasses. They can live for weeks without a host and years if they can access a host for brief blood meals.

So, I guess we need to know more about the situation.. what hosts do you currently have? Squirrels were something you mentioned? Do you currently keep poultry of some kind?

If you keep birds, douse all their bedding and the birds themselves with Diatomaceous Earth (DE)... food grade, freshwater DE only... fleas won't survive it. Also ashes from your fire pit (assuming you burn wood) will make the area uninviting to fleas.

There are lots of pet treatments and flea powders ( I don't recommend any of them ).

Hope this information helps you.... ask away, if you have more specific questions, I'll happily answer!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Judy
01-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, that's the only thing about living in south Texas... it is January and yesterday it was about 80 degrees. Perfect for the fleas to thrive...

Well, the fleas don't really have any hosts to live off of except for the visiting squirrels and perhaps night time creatures like opossums... I had chickens but they turned out to be roosters... so, they are now gone.

I have considered getting a guinea or two but I live in a suburban neighborhood and I know they can get pretty loud... I plan to get a couple of hens soon... and the ducks... I was hopping that they could help combat the problem... along with the other measures I have taken.

I have applied nematodes and DE but they just keep on going.... it slows them down for a little while.

I wish it would freeze so I could enjoy my garden again. Last week temps were in the mid 30's.... that was pleasant for outdoor work as the fleas could not function!

Fred's Fine Fowl
01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
IF you find an area where they are, or seem to be, concentrated, you can mix water and laundry soap (not detergent) and sray the entire area.

The soap/water mix will stick to them and suffocate those which are sprayed. You would have to repeat the treatment to match their hatching cycles...

Let us know how it goes... I recommend once a week for three weeks.

good luck!