PDA

View Full Version : Lengths of my videos

gardengirl72
01-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I have a very important question that I need input on. I am editing my new videos now. The lengths of my videos has increased over the past few years. From 2min videos to 6min videos. The technology and the audience has evolved, but the industry insists that shorter is better. In the past I've broken videos up into parts if they were really long. Now each topic is contained in one video that is longer. My questions are:

Do you like videos that are longer and self contained or would you rather have more information broken up into seperate videos?

It's always been a challenge to shorten videos so that they are web friendly, but I end up not being able to include everything I would like.

Please let me know what you think.

Kittikity
01-13-2009, 11:08 AM
I prefer longer videos, but I have a cable internet connection.. People that might have trouble with longer videos are those on dial up connections..

MoniDew
01-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Having a topic contained in one video is quite helpful. But so is covering differing aspects of a topic in seperate videos. (like chapters in a book) Your judgement has been admirable so far. Go with your gut. We'll be here, applauding.

shebear
01-13-2009, 02:02 PM
I prefer longer videos with more depth but I have broadband. While all the big cities have fast access, many of the smaller cities citizens are still using dial-up.

I think the industry wants short videos because they can store more and have more hits per hour. Their priorities may not be yours or mine. I like what you've been doing. Keep it up.

Fred's Fine Fowl
01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I used to think the short vids would have more hits.

So, I put out 1 minute shorts and also 10 minute segments.

Depends on video content in my opinion. For detailed procedures, I think viewers would like as much information as possible in a single viewing. So, in that instance, longer is better.

One of my longest videos had over 40k hits.

For your informational posts Patti, I would much rather see the full length segments.

I know the YouTube limit is 10 minutes, yet I've found presentations which extended as long as 20 minutes. Those members must have a different status/access.

In closing, my vote is for you to post full segments.

A personal preference of course :}

Sinfonian
01-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Definitely longer and more complete is better. I know I'd like more in depth on your hydroponics system. It left me wanting more.

Whatever you put out I'll watch, even your pond videos and I have no intention of building a feeder tank for coons, err pond hehe.

Garden Green
01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
I like longer. There are so many times when I'm watching a video when I think "Man, I wish they would have shown how that did that thing!" instead of it being TV land where stuff happens instantly because of the powers of editing.

The only time length bothers me is when it is boring. I just stop watching if I get bored. But I think informational videos should be longer because there are steps and some of those steps should not be omitted.

PJJ
01-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I vote for longer!!:) I don't really care for the Part 1, Part 2 ect. varieties.

gardengirl72
01-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I think 4-6 minute videos are better. I have longer versions that are for the home video versions that hopefully people will buy someday. Thanks for your input, it is very helpfull.

plantoneonme
01-16-2009, 03:38 PM
I would much rather watch a longer video then have it cut into pieces. Just my opinion. Kim

ecogirl
01-19-2009, 03:07 AM
I'm not really bothered how long it is or how short it is at least its exciting and eye-catching and you smile in it! ;)

herb girl
01-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I absolutely prefer the longer videos. I find it annoying to have to keep going to part 2 part 3 etc. Plus, sometimes your info. is so exciting I find myself really hoping to hear more. The industry just has the sesame street mentality, you know, 30 seconds to 1 minute! Keep it moving....

gardenladymg
02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Prefer getting it all in one, I tried to find your building a chicken coop and found some of the parts but didn't find all of them. I didn't have the time to keep looking to find all the parts. I would prefer to have all of it because then I can write a step by step instruction list to do the job. In parts, it is a difficult task.

:( Jan C.