PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a license for aquaculture?

Kittikity
01-13-2009, 11:12 AM
A friend told me that the fish and game commission might require me to have a license.. He said he's seen in the news where people have been arrested by game wardens for it.. Is this true? I'd like to raise my own fish for food, but I sure don't want to get arrested for it..

Kevin
01-13-2009, 11:29 AM
A friend told me that the fish and game commission might require me to have a license.. He said he's seen in the news where people have been arrested by game wardens for it.. Is this true? I'd like to raise my own fish for food, but I sure don't want to get arrested for it..

Hey Kittykitty, These Laws vary from state to state. Most states require a permit for commercial operations, and operations that use natural ponds or lakes. My advice would be to call your state fish and game commission and ask. also while you have them on the phone,ask if any info or publications on aquaculture are available. I have found in florida that our FWC can provide a wealth of info. Kevin

shebear
01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
More than likely most of this is to protect our native waterways. Ponds can otherflow and let a non-native species loose into the environment.

And to make sure the process is up to our food codes.