PDA

View Full Version : Weird Idea - Just Might Work

MoniDew
01-13-2009, 12:06 PM
My local grocery store has clamshells of various herbs, still living, roots attached, in the produce department. We buy them for the fabulous freshness they add to our food. I have always loved using the herbs. But I hate throwing the roots away - what a waste! I wondered if I could just plant them. Would they adapt? This time, I bought them, kept them out of the refrigerator for a few hours, and planted them in a window box. Now we wait and see if they take to their new environment. Wish me luck!

shebear
01-13-2009, 01:42 PM
It should work. Most herbs are perennials and bareroot plants are kept in the cold until shipped. As long as they didn't get too dehydrated they should bounce back.

Good luck

Garden Green
01-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Very cool! I agree with shebear, it should work out just fine.

Sinfonian
01-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Not sure if my experience is worth mentioning, but I tried that with basil. I stuck a stem in water and it sprouted roots. Then I planted it outside and it promptly died it may have needed to be potted inside and then hardened off, but I gave up and planted something else. I suggest you keep trying til it works. What have you got to lose?

shebear
01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
First thing I learned was that roots that grow in water are not the same as roots that grow in soil. They process mutrients differently so you have to make sure the ones you started in water are wet enough until the roots start working like soil roots. Also you need to keep the plant moist but not too wet. When I root old roses, I mist them and keep them in the shade until they root.

gardengirl72
01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Try it. Let us know what happens.

plantoneonme
01-19-2009, 10:52 AM
How is this working out for you so far? Kim

MoniDew
01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I have them in front of my sliding glass patio door, the largest window in the house. It faces south so it gets lots of light. But it has been so freezing that everything is getting a bad draft. All my little plants got too cold. The sun is out today, and warming them back up again. Hopefully, a little something survived on each plant and there will be something salvage-able yet. Will keep you posted.

gardengirl72
01-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Any update so far?

Blossome
02-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Did this work, I know it works with green onions. But I've never tried the herbs.

MoniDew
02-16-2009, 12:52 PM
not very well. My basil died, twice (replanted and tried again.) Lost oregano, tarragon, thyme, and dill. Chives survived (you were right!) and mint. Nothing can kill mint! LOL!

So, my seeds are starting in trays right now and I planted from seed all the things I lost, plus parsley and cilantro. I'm gonna be prayin' these seeds make it. I don't know how to live without herbs!

plantoneonme
02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I did root celery from the cut off end normally composted. It grew stalks and leaves from the very center. It is now large enough to take some leaves to add flavor to food and a small stalk every now and then. Kim