PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Raw Foods Plan

MoniDew
01-13-2009, 04:20 PM
I thought I'd show how to incorporate raw foods into a real-world diet.

1st) Anything dark green, and leafy is your friend. There are no limits, eat as much as you want. Spinach, kale, collard greens, Swiss chard, broccoli, parsley, romaine lettuce, etc. In addition to these, sea veggies (kelp, nori, wakame, arame, etc) contain tons of organic minerals, and although they taste "salty", they are an abundant source of 60-80 different minerals. Your taste buds will tell you when your mineral needs are fulfilled, so eat until your "stop" signal.

2nd) Raw fruits are also your friend. You can eat (almost) as much as you want. If you have blood sugar issues, please consult a glycemic index of foods and choose low glycemic index fruits. These fruits typical contain low sugar, a high amount of fiber and a stone/pit: apricots, nectarines and peaches, black cherries, plums. In addition to these, lemons and limes are so healthful that they too would be in the unlimited (or nearly so) catagory. Apples and pears, berries, and most other citrus are medium glycemic fruits, they can and should be eaten frequently, but only one or two at a time. Bananas and melons are high glycemic fruits, and while healthful for most, should be limited by those with blood sugar issues.

3rd) Steamed veggies, brown rice, whole grain pasta, cereals, and breads, fresh beans (edamame, green peas, green beans, etc) are also considered "backbone" of a healthy diet foods. It is acceptable to include small amounts of them at each meal.

4th) "Light proteins" for those who feel the necessity of including a protein, include tofu, fish, the eggs of free-range/organically fed poultry, plain yogurt, and occassionally (once a week or so) the flesh of free-range/organically fed poultry.

An average day might look something like this:

Breakfast:
Smoothie - a small amount of tofu or plain yogurt with a cup or two of fresh or frozen berries, peaches, etc. You may add a powdered "green" supplement or powdered sea vegetables as an alkalizing mineral source. Water or freshly pressed juice as the liquid portion, and blend until desired consistency.

Mid AM:
Green tea with a tsp of raw honey and 1 pc of whole grain toast (Ezekiel or Genesis). You might want a tsp of flaxseed oil on the toast.

Lunch:
Green salad of mixed lettuces, fresh herbs, fresh raw vegetables, leftover steamed veggies, brown rice, and/or light protein from previous night's dinner. Dress with fresh lemon/lime juice, garlic, herbs, sea veggies/sea salt, and extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil.

Mid PM:
Snack on one or two pieces of fresh fruit. If you are very hungry, add a closed fist handful of fresh raw nuts or seeds.

Dinner:
Start with a small fresh green salad with the above dressing. Then have a small portion of light protein, a small portion of whole grain pasta or brown rice or baked sweet potato, and a small portion of steamed veggies.

Late PM:
If you are the type who needs a 9pm (or midnight, or whatever) snack, try one or two more pieces of fruit. If that's not quite enough, try the fruit with a small portion of plain yogurt and a tiny bit of raw honey. If that's not quite enough, add a piece of Ezekiel or Genesis toast topped with a tsp of flaxseed oil.

In about 3 weeks, you won't be "as hungry as a maniac" anymore and won't need to eat late, eat constantly, etc. WHY? At first, your body notices it now has a supply of REAL food, and it sends out the "eat more now" signal. As your nutrient difficiencies start to be supplied, this eating frenzy slows down. You will be extremely satisfied with this light fare AFTER the initial 3-4 week manic period. It's very worth the investment.

Everybody - have a happy and healthy raw food life!!

HomesteadBaker
01-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Awesome! Thanks!

My Mother has a brand new, still-in-the-box, smoothie maker that I am going to confiscate for health! :D Have any good smoothie recipes? Can I use frozen chopped fruits for making smoothies?

MoniDew
01-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I use commercially frozen fruit, for convenience, and for off-season supply. Of course, there is some nutrient loss in the freezing process. But compared to what I've been eating lately, it's a step up. For the orchardists among us, freeze and use your own fruits!! You'll enjoy those fresh peaches in the middle of winter! And the slow freezing process of an at-home freezer is less damaging than the flash-freezing commercial process.

KalenaPlants
01-13-2009, 11:55 PM
You know, this way of eating seems very feasible for me! I'm fasting now, yes, but this is something that I think will help me get continue on the right track. I still have about 90lbs. to go before I reach my goal weight. YAY, this is awesome. Thanks!

ecogirl
01-31-2009, 03:06 PM
:eek: There isn't any meat! But I see you can't eat meat without cooking it and it is a raw food plan. I have heard of tofu but I'd like to try it! Is tofu nice by any chance?

MoniDew
02-01-2009, 11:20 PM
most raw foodists are vegans - no animal foods of any kind. A few consume raw dairy products (raw yogurt, for example). Even fewer consume raw meat. (they exist!)

Tofu is not raw. It's congealed soymilk. The beans are cooked, then made into a milk and then congealed. It has no taste of note, but will take on the flavors of whatever it is cooked in - ginger, garlic, lemongrass, chilies, coconut, etc.

If you are wanting to simply ADD more fruits and vegetables to your current diet, you'll still receive the benefit of the additional antioxidants, etc.

The basic idea is to stop eating
fast foods (anything that can be obtained through a drive-up window)
junk food (deep-fried, sugar-coated, etc)
convenience foods (cans, packages, bottles, jars, etc)

and EAT REAL FOOD

Fruit (raw)
vegetables (raw or barely cooked)
whole grains (sprouted or cooked)
beans (sprouted or cooked)
nuts & seeds (raw)

And when/if you eat animal foods, choose CLEAN protein sources
wildcaught fish
grassfed beef
free-range poultry, etc
raw milk from a certified dairy

You'd be amazed how much of a difference this makes in your overall health.

greenmama777
02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks so much for this post. Really helpful. I am always trying to improve our diets and make sure that my little one gets a good start and eats the right foods.

ultralove
05-15-2010, 02:07 AM
I'm really glad I found this site, it's great! I'm always looking for ways to add good whole foods to my diet. My problem is I do love junk food but, I try to balance it out with healthy choices too. Thanks, for the great post!

ultra love (http://www.ultra-love-lubricants.com)