PDA

View Full Version : New raised bed material

Kittikity
01-14-2009, 09:29 PM
I was looking up trellis' on Lowes website and stumbled across a new product they're going to be getting in February.. They're composite boards made of wood fiber and recycled plastic! Now, the posts are a little over $30 so if you're going for a fence it might get pretty pricey.. But the rail boards themselves are 1 1/2" x 3 3/4" x 71 3/4" and cost about $12.. Yes, they cost a little more than regular wood would cost, but just imagine how long they'll last.. And they're made from recycled plastic.. I absolutely love products made from recycled plastics.. Anyway, come February I'll be making a weekly trip to Lowes to buy a board or two at a time.. Unfortunately that's all our budget might allow for now..

If you want to look them up on the Lowes website, they're in the fencing section under wood fencing..

gardengirl72
01-15-2009, 10:14 AM
This is a great product for those that can afford it. I would use it I could pay for it for sure.

Kittikity
01-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I might have worded that wrong.. The boards are only $12.. You wouldn't need the posts for a raised bed so ignore those.. In Florida's wet summer, untreated wood rots quickly, especially if its touching the ground.. I'd get only a couple years use out of it.. The only gripe I have about the composite boards is their size.. They're only 6 foot long, so I'll have to make 6 foot long beds or 4x4 beds.. Not a big problem though.. If I do the 4x4 beds then I can use the extra 2 feet extra to attach the top and bottom sections.. Might also not be able to make the beds as tall without extra expense..

JudyH
01-16-2009, 09:08 AM
The six foot long size is good for making a 3' wide x 6' long... I actually prefer the 3' wide beds myself so the boards would be right up my alley :D