PDA

View Full Version : raised bed question

Hydro662
01-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi guys, quick question, is it ok to put raised beds on my lawn without putting landscape fabric underneath? well if you have any ideas, let me know. Cya!!:cool:

HomesteadBaker
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I have never put landscape fabric under mine.... and I have also built them without the wooden sides, too. Just takes a bit more effort to keep the beds in shape.

gardengirl72
01-15-2009, 09:58 AM
It's fine. You may get some weeds that grow through. It's not a big deal though. A weed is just a miss placed plant.

shebear
01-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Sure but if you have an aggressive grass or weed it may come up through the bed. You could lay down cardboard or a thick layer of newspaper (not the glossy stuff) and then put down the dirt. In a very short time the cardboard and newspaper will disintergrate and by then the grass and weeds have usually died. Personally I try to kept the plastic stuff out of the garden as much as possible.

HomesteadBaker
01-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Sure but if you have an aggressive grass or weed it may come up through the bed. You could lay down cardboard or a thick layer of newspaper (not the glossy stuff) and then put down the dirt. In a very short time the cardboard and newspaper will disintergrate and by then the grass and weeds have usually died. Personally I try to kept the plastic stuff out of the garden as much as possible.

Agreed. I have used both cardboard and newspaper as weed barrier, and they work very well, and enrich the soil as they decompose.

gardengirl72
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Exactly, just lay down newspaper or cardboard!

Hydro662
01-15-2009, 02:35 PM
thanks alot guys, I appreciate the help. Now all I have to do is figure out what I'm going to plant, I'm looking into veggies and fruits, the flowers will be for another time. :D