PDA

View Full Version : Your contribution to permaculture...

HomesteadBaker
01-15-2009, 02:27 PM
So what are you doing to enhance your own property's permaculture?

I am pruning the mature apple trees and quince bush, and planting blueberries and strawberries this summer. I have been considering putting in an asparagus bed, too.

MoniDew
01-15-2009, 06:33 PM
I am embarassed to admit that I have done very little. Even knowing what I know.

I have, however, started composting again. I have started recycling much more seriously as well.

I plan to make the biggest garden I can afford this spring and add to it every year. But that's just "planning," not doing. DOING remains to be seen. (does ordering the seeds for it already COUNT?)

HomesteadBaker
01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Sure, seed ordering counts! LOL (I haven't ordered mine yet!)

Having just moved back here, I haven't "done" anything recently either... so I guess "planning" can count as long as you follow through. ;) Tree pruning will be done by the end of next month.... it is tooooooo flipping cold out to do it now!!!!

plantoneonme
01-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Besides having the raised beds and adding many more this year, I have 2 blueberries in pots waiting for the perfect place to plant, same with a grape, will be moving some thornless raspberries from my old house, adding strawberries, have 1 sad asparagus now but wintersowed plenty more, have a nice size rhubarb growing and have some peach seeds in pots waiting to see if they sprout this spring (I read in Mother Earth News they come true from seed). My daughter lives in my old house and we are going to prune up the 5-in-1 apple and give it a lot more attention this year. I have plenty of more plans but limited resources at this point.

I really want to grow some edamame as a protein source and am looking for an inexpensive source for a few seeds...anyone grow these? Kim

MoniDew
01-17-2009, 07:28 AM
ooh, I just bought some edamame seeds from Seeds of Change.

plantoneonme
01-19-2009, 09:58 AM
ooh, I just bought some edamame seeds from Seeds of Change.

I have some coming from a trade, if they are a different variety, would you like to trade a few seeds for variety? LMK Kim

MoniDew
01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
sure, why not! I just started getting my seeds in the mail today. they sent me about half of what I ordered (edamame not among them). I expect the rest of the delivery soon.

HomesteadBaker
01-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Well, I don't think I'll be planting anything for a while!

Considering this is what it looks like around here... still! I took this yesterday at the playground a few blocks from my house.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/HomesteadBaker/HPIM0280.jpg

MoniDew
01-27-2009, 09:31 AM
wow! that is really beautiful!

We are getting slammed with an ice storm at the moment...and I still haven't gotten my roof repaired after the last one...

MamaGigi
02-20-2009, 11:45 PM
I have started a compost bin with my lovely red wigglers. I planted 5 blueberry, 4 blackberry, 42 trees (flowering, evergreen, oak, and crepe myrtle), 10 gardenia, 2 azalea, 13 rosebushes. I scattered clover (crimson and white), barley, and buckwheat in a garden area. My daughter scattered 4 bags of fragrant wildflowers along the front of our yard. We cleared some fallen trees and took Patti's idea for the wire mesh compost heaps. Too bad I didn't know about that earlier this fall. :) We've established an area for the first 4 4'x4' raised beds. We found 3 nearby neighbors who had bricks we could use to separate our garden beds.

All in all, I can't wait to see what happens this spring/summer/fall. :)