PDA

View Full Version : soil ideas??

Hydro662
01-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi guys, I have another question for the raised beds I'm preparing, any ideas on a good soil mix?? I was thinking of going and getting some good compost and humus or top soil, and I was also reading Mel Bartholemew's book where he is very adamant on using a particular mix of compost, vermiculite and peat moss; anyone tried that formula, well if you have any ideas let me know. Thanks folks!!!:cool:

Sinfonian
01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I absolutely used Mel's mix. It works amazing. Drains like a sive and retains water like a sponge. Of course you can do whatever you like. Even Mel teaches 100% compost in places where they don't have peat and vermiculite.

Check out my blog for the design build page. You see me building my soil.

plantoneonme
01-16-2009, 03:27 PM
I would highly recommend NOT using topsoil. I put some in one of my beds last year and found it was either very wet and when not wet, dry like concrete. I got very little to grow in that bed. I ammended heavily with compost and hope it is better this year. I also had a very large raised bed that had about 50% of the same topsoil, 20% compost, 20% peat and 10% vermiculite. Things grew great in that bed. If I had it to do over again, I would go 80% compost and 20% vermiculite. The compost would make the soil extremely fertile and the vermiculite would help keep it more workable.

Kim

Hydro662
01-17-2009, 06:19 PM
well thanks for the info, I'm going to go ahead and give the compost with a few adds a try, hopefully it will be fertile and grow a great crop!!! :D