PDA

View Full Version : Hello from San Jose

gardenladymg
01-17-2009, 08:02 PM
I really have enjoyed your videos from the first promo that you first sent off.
I grew up with prune and apple orchards in our Santa Cruz Mountains. Some of my happiest memories were up on a 12 foot ladder learning to prune fruit trees. I'm a CA certified nurserypro- nurseryman, and as of 1998, a UC Master Gardener volunteer. Our family of 5 is in 4-H, which is a great place to learn animal husbandry, market animals, sewing, and marketing. I work with 4-Hers to learn leadership, public speaking and gardening in 4-H. Our garden group has a goal to put butterfly gardens in all the Santa Clara County with the end of a massive butterfly release on a Beneficial Bug Day where kids and adults learn to use alternates to pesticides and how to organically garden.
I'm very glad to meet you all as a kindred spirits who love to live this sustainable urban lifestyle.

Hydro662
01-18-2009, 12:02 AM
howdy do, well its nice to meet ppl from all over the place, welcome and hope to learn from your experiences! :cool:

Garden Green
01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the forums! How many is a massive butterfly release? I think it's awesome that you all are going to plant a butterfly garden, they are great aren't they? We'd love to see pictures of the release event!

ecogirl
01-19-2009, 03:02 AM
Hi san jose!
Nice to meet you!

plantoneonme
01-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Glad you could join us. You will have to share lots of pictures once you get the gardens established. Kim

gardenladymg
01-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Whoops-clarification-
4-H youth are growing plants and are looking for interested teachers who want to do this. The teachers would be given the plants in their school garden bed. (the plants would be food to feed the butterfly larvae.) It will take this year to grow up plants. Next year, the catepillars. We have had less Monarch Butterflies last year in CA. Still working of logistics on the catepillars.
Like:
What works better for teachers: growing from eggs or buying catepillars to raise? Don't know.

The whole of it is in the beginning stages. It is not off the ground yet. Any links to butterfly crafts or curriculums or school butterfly houses would be welcomed.

gardenladymg
01-20-2009, 12:46 AM
The present goal would be about 300 butterflies released by students and working to the goal of 500 in the future. It all depends if the teachers see value in it and support it.

gardengirl72
01-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Glad to have you here!