PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Cucumber Salad

Garden Green
01-18-2009, 03:09 PM
I had this at a Japanese restaurant recently and just feel in love with it!

2 cups thinly sliced cucumbers (Japanese, English, or regular)
1/2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon sugar (or slightly less honey)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons sesame seeds

If using English or regular cucumbers, they need to be peeled, cut lengthwise, seeded and sliced into thin half moons. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, salt and pepper, mix well. Add sugar(or honey), soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil and mix well. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and mix. Let marinate for 20 minutes before serving. Adjust seasonings before serving.

ecogirl
01-19-2009, 03:05 AM
I guess a lot of the ingredients are japanese! I'm gonna have to try this! :cool:

Sandy
01-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Since Garden Green shares her Japanese Cucumber Salad recipe, let me share my favorite Japanese Wasabi Salad Dressing recipe with all wasabi lovers here :D

Japanese Wasabi Salad Dressing

Soy sauce - 1 tsp
Wasabi - 1 tsp
Vinegar - 3 tbsp
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Sesame oil - 1/2 tsp

For vinegar, use white rice vinegar. And for wasabi, use wasabi paste that is packaged in a tube, like a small tube of toothpaste.

daisymomto3
01-21-2009, 06:32 PM
I made this today for lunch. Very yummy! Thanks for posting the recipe. :)

Garden Green
01-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Isn't it though? Definitely going to be doing this a lot when I get to plant some cucumbers.

gardenjoinery
02-24-2009, 07:48 PM
That sounds good. I think it would also be good if you substituted mirin for the sugar.

redhead5318
09-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Garden Green, thank you, thank you so much for posting that!

I spent some time in Japan when I was a teenager, and my host-Mom would make a cucumber salad every few days because everyone in the family loved it. I'd help her make it, but I had no idea what was it in, and it was SOOOOO good! I've been looking for a recipe ever since, and yours looks like it's the one! :)

Garden Green
09-18-2009, 11:32 PM
You're most welcome! I hope it is what you were looking for. I made this a couple of days ago and it was gone in no time.

redhead5318
10-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi Garden Green,

i found some kid at the farmers market selling cucumbers four for a dollar, so i got to make this salad yet again (i just can't get enough cucumbers!) and made a few changes: skip the black pepper, skip the soy sauce, use Mirin instead of sugar. was perfect.

and since i'm the only cucumber lover in the house, it was mine, all mine!

Garden Green
10-19-2009, 02:04 PM
That is awesome. I'll change my recipe to Mirin and play with the soy but I don't know if I can give up my black pepper.