View Full Version : Cocoa Bean Mulch!?

01-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Hi all,
Just curious if anyone knows the answer to this question... In a show way back when, Patti talked about Cocoa Bean Shells as a mulch. Well, I finally got my hands on some (not easy here in New Zealand) and was curious if anyone knows if its organic? Does the cocoa industry use lots of pesticides? The country of origin is Ghana, and I dont remember if patti mentioned organic versions of the stuff...

01-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Those are great questions. My guess is that it is not completely organic. However having said that, I would think the pesticides would manifest themselves in the bean not the shell.

Great question though. I hope someone checks into it.

01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
We'll know if it has pesticides if Patti's chickens or rabbits grow any extra limbs.. = )

01-22-2009, 05:51 PM
I saw that also....
I have another question....
Someone sent me an email about a possible danger of cocoa mulch for dogs. It stated that if they ingest it- it could be fatal because cocoa is used in the making of chocolate. Does anyone have any idea if this is true, or just a rumor or sad joke someone thought would stir things up?

01-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Chocolate is very bad for dogs. I suppose the same could be true from these. However, my toy poodle ate an entire quart bag of cocoa powder growing up and he was fine. In big trouble but fine. So I'm not sure it would kill them, but it may make them sick.

01-23-2009, 06:56 PM
It is true, Chocolate is bad for dogs. I have never seen any of my dogs even thing about eating my mulch though. One of my dogs is real stupid too. I personally think the risk is minimal.

01-31-2009, 01:10 PM
I started using the cocoa bean mulch and its fantastic. i think my dog ate a little, because I noticed her overchewing--- moving her mouth as if chewing even when she had no food in it---- but hopefully that'll be the last time she eats some...For her, even if she likes the smell, if she doesnt like the taste she wont eat it. I think I read soemwhere that they must eat a really large quantity if they're going to get sick from it..
Thanks for the responses everyone!

02-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Just saw this on a goat forum.. Not sure if it's true or not.. But if it is, then be careful if your dog is the type that will eat anything..


Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats somet hing new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk . Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'

This Snopes site gives the following
information:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog th at ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine. PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!