PDA

View Full Version : Any work at home jobs?

Kittikity
01-21-2009, 08:51 PM
K, I know this is a stupid thing to ask here, of all places.. But does anybody know of any legitimate work at home jobs?

PJJ
01-21-2009, 09:43 PM
K, I know this is a stupid thing to ask here, of all places.. But does anybody know of any legitimate work at home jobs?

Kittikity,

It is NOT a stupid question to ask here. I'm interested and I bet others will be too.

Penny

Garden Green
01-21-2009, 11:11 PM
My mother in law called me one night and told me about a story she saw on Good Morning America. It was about call center work from home. Here is the segment post on their website:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5522191&page=1

They include:

http://www.alpineaccess.com/external/index.html

http://www.arise.com/Content/default.asp

http://www.workingsol.com/home.htm

http://www.liveops.com/

Three of these require that you be a contractor. One of them you are actually an employee with benefits from what I remember from reading.

As with everything, if it is too good to be true, it probably is so please be careful, I do not know the validity of any of these websites, only that Good Morning America endorsed them.

Kittikity
01-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, I don't think I can do any of those.. They require a landline telephone, which I don't have, and a credit check.. Unfortunately, my credit is not pretty..

gardengirl72
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Kitty,

I make about $2k a year selling Seedlings on my driveway, and another grand or so selling vegetables, which almost pays for my Taxes every year.
I also make around $500 bucks a year selling handmade knitted stuff. Have checked out www.payperpost.com, they will pay you to post stuff on blogs.

Personally I think Crafts and bucks from your backyard are really safe and easy way to make a bunch of money. You have a large garden area right? I bet in a year you could make some good cash of that.

Mel Bartholomew wrote a book on Cash from a Square Foot Gardening, and another book I like is Andy Lee's book on Backyard Market Gardening.

In most states you can run a mini day care center out of your home as well legally that could bring in some bucks as well.

Kittikity
01-22-2009, 01:19 PM
I actually thought about doing the seed starting hydroponic thing and selling them at the local farmers market.. My front porch is about 10' x 40' and would be perfect to set them up.. But the start up cost is what gets me.. I just don't have the money to spend on it while I learn and work out the kinks.. I also want to build a large incubator to hatch chicks and sell them at the local livestock auction.. Hopefully when my goats have their kids in March, I'll be able to sell them and use a lot of that money to start some of my projects..

Working on the handcrafted items too.. Made my first doggie sweater which is a pitiful excuse for a sweater.. I'm trying again but going to use a different method.. I suppose I could make beanies like mad.. Pretty much got the hang of those.. = )

gardengirl72
01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Kitti,

This is the website that inspired me about five years back to start my own famstand:

http://freeplants.com/frame%20set.htm

I think I have made some improvements to what he does, but this is what made me start trying it. Check it out, I bet it will get you inspired and more financially stable as well.

MoniDew
01-22-2009, 05:26 PM
*sheepishly raises hand*

I run a small internet tea business from home. I sell online at my own website and on Amazon.com. I also have a small booth in a "flea market" (antiques mall). I sample out tea once a week at the antiques mall for a couple of hours. So those 2 hours are the only time out of my week that I am not at home. Other than that, I only leave to go to the post office to mail people their purchases. It's very easy, and it's mine. I'm not working for anybody else.

gardengirl72
01-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Did I ever tell you the story of Mortgage Lifter Tomato's? Ask me and I will. (I should make a video out of this story........)

plantoneonme
01-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Don't think just veggies to sell. Each year I sell off hostas that I divide off my existing plants. I usually take a very large hosta, cut into 1/4's, put back one of the 1/4's, move one to another spot to expand the garden and then pot the other 2. My daughter is now in the home that I did this over the past 20 years and when she needed money this fall, she asked if she could do the same. She made over $200 on one weekend and $160 the next. These are nothing fancy hostas BTW. She also sold a few perinneal plants such as purple coneflowers, daisies and blackeyed susans.

I found a large number of 1 gallon pots at curbside one day, made a U turn and snapped them up. I have also gotten them from freecycle so there is no cost at this little start up business. I have about 15 or so left of the 1 gallon pots so will again sell off some plants in the spring. I give a "refund" or free plant to those who return the pots as well. I sell the hostas 3/$10 which is about 1/2 what the big box stores sell them for. If a customer brings me back the 3 pots, they get a small flower in return or .50 a pot....so far everyone wanted the free plant.

This spring I hope to sell some heirloom tomato plants and am checking into a weekend at the farmer's market. I am not sure of the cost but think I could do ok on the big "flower weekend". I will of course take along some hostas and other perinneals to see how it goes.

Kim

gardengirl72
01-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Kim you are so right. There is way more money in ornamental plants than veggies. You can make a steal that way. Thats what the website I left the link for is all about. Just propagate plants you have around the yard!

HomesteadBaker
01-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Did I ever tell you the story of Mortgage Lifter Tomato's? Ask me and I will. (I should make a video out of this story........)
Yes, you should!!! It is a great story.

Kittikity
01-24-2009, 12:35 AM
You guys are a bad influence! lol But in a good way.. My ideas and projects have exloded since coming here.. Good because I love information and new ideas.. Bad becuase I don't have the money to do much about it.. I want to start the plants so badly.. Will check freecycle and craigslist for free pots.. If nothing there then it'll have to be something else that will just have to wait..