PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Cincinnati!

msmel5180
01-21-2009, 11:13 PM
My name is Melanie - I own a small garden center/florist in Cincinnati, right in the center of "Big Box Land"! I'm the little guy trying to survive, and trying to lure my customers back. So many small businesses are being forced out of business, and I must say I, too, am struggling. But I'm not going down without a fight.
I stumbled upon the Garden Girl TV products through email they sent me and have been amazed and intrigued. I spent an entire Sunday (my only day off) watching all the videos. I came to the conclusion that going green, and incorporating Patti's products and practices in my store just may be the solution. I'm even thinking of getting an angora rabbit for the kids to enjoy!
On the sign outside my store I put "Recycle your used vases and containers here". I have been overwhelmed at the response I have received. People are decluttering their basements, closets, and under their sinks and bringing me their used vases. In return, I give them a coupon to use on their next visit to my shop. This has convinced me that people are ready for the "Green" scene.
Thanks for listening.

gardengirl72
01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah Melanie! We are gonna get those big box stores from the inside out! The family Garden Center should be one of America's most treasured resorces and should be first in line for "bail out money".

The family Garden Center will survive when it becomes a destination store, a source on knowledge and learning, and most of all a source for products you can not get from the big box store.

Welcome Melanie, I can't wait to visit your store! Maybe we can run a class or something there this spring!

MoniDew
01-22-2009, 05:32 PM
welcome, Melanie! It sounds like you've got a winner of a concept there! Congrats! And continued success to you!

msmel5180
01-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for your kind words Monica. I really appreciate it.

msmel5180
01-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Patti - you are amazing - I just finished watching you shear your angora rabbit. Is there anything you can't do? You're my Hero!

It would be totally awesome to plan a class with you. WOW! I can't believe you would do that! Will your book be out by then? We can do a book signing at the same time!!!
Give me dates so I can pass the word to all my Frequent Gardener Club and the city!!!!

Thanks again!
Melanie

plantoneonme
01-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Melanie, Welcome to the group. There are some wonderful people here. I hope your business picks up and does well for you soon. If Patti comes to your store, I will have to make arrangements to get to your area from here just outside of Detroit. Kim

gardengirl72
01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Mel,

My book will not be out by then(I am too much of a perfectionist), but I will come and sign DVD's! My goal is to meet the people! I will be in Dallas and Houston in Feb. at some of my stores. After we get your store installed lets make a day and time! Mel, you are my HERO. On days when it is really hard and nothing seems to work I fantasize about working in a Nursery or greenhouse and talking to plants and customers all day.

The thing about this whole "movement" I am attempting to build is that people don't realize I am a real person, that really wants to meet and help them. (You should see the gardens my neighbors now have)

One of my goals in life is to see the Independent Garden Center's across the country expand, flourish and prosper. They are the key to saving the country from itself (in my opinion). If I can get enough garden centers together to create a network, the big box stores will be in trouble! Gimme time!

Kim, what store in Detroit should I we target. They need us too!

Love your website as well!

plantoneonme
01-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Kim, what store in Detroit should I we target. They need us too!

Love your website as well!

Thanks Patti, We have a great little family run greenhouse/nursery in our neighborhood that I bet would love to have you come visit. Next time I get a chance to get over there I will talk with the owners. Many years ago I was the girl scout leader to their 2 girls. We have some other larger stores also so I bet you could do a route and hit a few stores in a couple days. Kim

gardengirl72
01-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Email first Kim. Gimme a lead and I will put my people on them!

plantoneonme
01-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Email first Kim. Gimme a lead and I will put my people on them!

Will do Patti. It will be exciting. Kim

msmel5180
01-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Patti,
I'll give you a job anyday! I can't wait to meet you and share you with my neighbors. Count me in onboard your train to help you achieve your goal for the independent guys....

Kim - I'll be sure to let you know the date for Patti's visit. We're gonna give her a welcome she won't forget!

Uke_Mochi
02-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Melanie-

HI! Where is your store?!? I'll be a customer!

Best-

Kate

Sinfonian
02-12-2009, 09:29 PM
I love my independents. I've got two of them in different directions. Best of luck to you and welcome!

shebear
02-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh wow when are you going to be in Dallas? I want to come to North Haven and see you.