PDA

View Full Version : My First Harvest

Kittikity
01-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Well, my garden got hit by a hard frost and almost everything died.. Especially the squash and the corn which were growing so well.. What's really heart breaking is that the squash plants were starting to fruit.. But I did salvage some spinach and a couple of very tiny pea pods.. Some of the spinach leaves were frost bitten so I gave those and the tiny pea pods to the rabbits.. They really seemed to enjoy them.. The rest of the spinach became a salad for my husband.. He said it was really good.. Anyway, here's a pic of the harvest before I took the rabbits their part of it..

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73/Kittikity/goats/firstharvest.jpg

HomesteadBaker
01-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Oh no! What made it through the frost? Anything?

Kittikity
01-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Just the stuff in the picture..

Sinfonian
01-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to my garden despit my attempts to save everything. Unfortunately that is supposed to happen.

So like me, enjoy planning for spring!

plantoneonme
01-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Sorry things got killed off for you. But as you said, it is a great time to add all the organic matter you can find. Maybe you could put a few things in pots such as the spinach which can be moved to shelter until the frost passes in your area. Kim

gardengirl72
01-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Don't be discouraged. You will have a great crop this spring! My first three crops had even less than that to harvest. Use this time for prep and stuff and it will be fine.

Do you have worms in your garden? If not, start collecting and feeding them like crazy. If that happens everything will be fine this summer, fall and next winter.

Still jealous though.......warm climate........

Kittikity
01-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks all for the condolences on my garden.. I'm just happy to have been able to salvage something..

Kim, you read my mind.. I was actually thinking of doing some spinach and tomatos and bringing them on my porch to cover if we do get frost again.. Will be watching the weather website very closely if I do..

Also, would I be able to mix up the hay and such in the pots or would it have to compost first.. I'm sure it needs to compost but thought I'd ask.. I have some peat moss left over from when I tried carnivorous plants.. (I could never seem to grow those.. They always died on me..)

You're more than welcome to come down here with us, Patti.. = ) We do have lots of worms here.. But I can't figure out how they survive in this soil.. Its not clay soil.. But its also not what I'd consider something worms would enjoy.. I need to do a short video with a fist of our soil and show how its thick but not thick.. It's just weird..

gardengirl72
01-31-2009, 04:20 PM
A good row cover could help in the future if you know there's a chance it will freeze up.