PDA

View Full Version : Much to do

Garden Green
01-23-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm going to be scarce for a while. We've started the packing process. And I just had no idea how much stuff a family can acquire so there is also a lot of "need this," "don't need this" going on here. Spring cleaning early! But I'm going to be one whipped puppy when all this is done.

As if that wasn't enough, I have to begin working 6 day weeks until the end of Feb (which of course is when we are going to be moved out of this place). When it rains it pours! But at least I'm employed. I'm thankful for that!

I'll be around, just not frequently and I'll get back to hanging out with the gang here as soon as humanly possible!

HomesteadBaker
01-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't envy you a bit! I just moved 1300 miles last summer... so I know exactly what you are going through!!!

Good luck!

MoniDew
01-27-2009, 09:26 AM
we will miss you in the interum and hope you are quickly settled into your new home.

Garden Green
01-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks! I'm still sort of around. The packing is slow going and I'm looking forward to getting it all done. Unfortunately, I'm not going to go up as soon as I hoped. My family is going up at the end of Feb, but I have to stay behind for a couple of months to finish out some things here. So as soon as they are safely deposited in Portland, I'll be back a little more.

HomesteadBaker
02-09-2009, 08:55 AM
How's the packing going???

Garden Green
02-10-2009, 12:18 AM
We're making progress. I've been dreading getting started on the kitchen but plunged head long into it this weekend after work. I got my freezers cleaned out and lined and I have the largest one packed with most of my holiday dishes (and I have a lot of holiday dishes, my husband wants to kill me at this point) and I've got a good system for the really strange shaped stuff for the smaller one. I'm seriously mourning the fact that I have to buy groceries again. We've been eating solely out of the freezers to get them empty now it's frequent trips to the store which is odd for us and man does it eat through the fuel and money. No more stock piling stuff on sale and freezing it.

The kids have been awesome about getting toys and such packed. It helps that they don't fuss about not being able to play with all the toys and that they can only take so many with them when they fly out. And my husband has been working tirelessly to pick up the slack from me having to work pretty much everyday.

I'm beat. This thing where its mandatory that we work 6 or 7 days a week just couldn't have come at a worse time. And with so little notice I couldn't plan around it. But it all pretty much ends the same week which I find ironic in a sadistic sort of way and I'm promising myself a very long soak at a spa where work can't find me. ;)

I'm still stunned at the phenomenal amount of crap one family can accumulate. It's just amazing! And the sad thing is that we didn't buy most of it, it came to us as gifts or someone was thinking of us and got us that thing that we will never use but we couldn't bring ourselves to throw it out because it was a gift after all.. yea, that's got to stop like.. now. I'm doing a "Re-Christmas" for my team at work. It's sorta like a Chinese fire drill but with gifts that we just can't use. At least I'm sharing and they all think it's funny. Or at least they are just humoring their boss, I haven't decided which yet. My colleagues aren't safe either and they know it. But it beats filling the local land fill with stuff that is useless to me.

Anyway, the house is a wreck, the van is a wreck, we're all worn out and we're giving away stuff. If this isn't a move, I don't know what is!

Thanks for checking up on me!

Dana

HomesteadBaker
02-10-2009, 07:33 AM
You definitely have my empathy! Been there, done that..... I think the next time I move I will have a huge yard sale!! LOL

Garden Green
02-10-2009, 07:46 PM
The part I'm not looking forward to is driving across the country in a 24 foot truck with my van dangling off the back of it. I'm going to be white knuckling the steering wheel for a week. Hehe!