PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the country

Jaenelle
01-26-2009, 11:58 PM
I live in Council Bluffs, Iowa right now with my husband and 2 children. This summer we plan on making the big move to northern MN. I am very excited to get back to the country after around 8 years. My parents have decided to give me a couple of their Arabian horses as a housewarming gift. I plan to have poultry of some sort and rabbits. I have also been thinking about having a milk source also. (goat or cow) A friend who is coming up with us has been talking about raising snapping turtles. I am very excited to put as much of the information on this site to use as I can! I have a bit of a black thumb so I hope that I can use the gardening info to fix that.

maricybele
01-27-2009, 01:51 AM
What a nice move. Always dreaming of larger yard.

Jaenelle
01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Yep. I am excited. I am upgrading by about 5 acres! I will have plenty of room for all the projects I hope to do.

Sinfonian
01-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Welcome and wow! My brother would be so jealous. He so wants 5 acres where he can retire self sufficiently. Bravo. Please tell more about your plans and progress as they unfold.

gardengirl72
01-31-2009, 12:52 PM
"Moving to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches...." does anyone remember that song. I am pretty jealous myself. It is only a matter of time before I make a leap like that my self....maybe twenty years or so...but some day..Can't wait to hear about your farm.

Jaenelle
02-02-2009, 01:09 AM
lol. I would love to be able to grow peaches up there. But I don't think that they will grow that far north. (please correct me if i am wrong, I hope I am)
Alas, it looks like the only trees I will have on my property to start is Birch.

plantoneonme
02-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Good luck and I am jealous except I think it gets even colder there than were I am...I don't like that much cold LOL:D Kim