PDA

View Full Version : What type of soil?

rdsaltpower
01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
What type of soil should I buy to fill my seed starting containers? Potting soil, topsoil? I will be starting them probably around the end of March. I have set up a shelf in front of a french door and plan to start them there.

shebear
01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
This is the one time I promote bagged seed starting mix.....especially for a newbie at starting seeds. Bagged SSM is sterile so you don't have any soilborne diseases to deal with. Also most of the SSM drains well but stays moist. It can be difficult to get wet at first so consider mixing it in a bucket with some warm water until it's just damp and then putting it in the containers. After that you can bottom water.

SSM doesn't contain fertilizer so after the first set of true leaves on your seedlings, you're going to have to start fertilizing.

plantoneonme
01-29-2009, 08:24 PM
I agree seed starting mix or potting MIX...not soil. Any type of potting soil or topsoil will get hard as a brick and the seedlings will not do well. I purchase broken bags at Lowe's for 1/2 price. I will usually get the Miracle Gro brand or anything else that compares. BTW, do not use potting soil or topsoil in pots either...plants don't grow well in bricks. Kim

rdsaltpower
01-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the help. I will get potting soil mix. I have seen topsoil get hard as a brick when it dries out, so I will avoid that.