PDA

View Full Version : LAte summer planting/sowing

MeredithB
01-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi all,
Its late summer here in New Zealand, as we moved to a new house in spring, my garden went in late this year. Up until now, I've treated winter as a non growing time (even though where I live it usually stays above 40 degrees F), so I was wondering if there's things I should be sowing now for a winter/ autumn crop?

Also, could there be a reason for tomatoes not flowering? I put them in in November (my seedlings were about a foot) and they still havent flowered despite being very strong plants. We live in a VERY windy area, could that be it?

thanks in advance for any help gals/guys!

ecogirl
01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Do you want to plant fruit and veg or flowers? (or both)
I usually plant tomatoes in January-April
Its usually at its best in July and August.
The best temperature to sow is 18C(65F)

gardengirl72
01-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Cool weather crops like lettuces and cabbage family plants are the best plants you can grow right now. Also try some 1to 2 inch carrots. You can probably extend your growing season with cold frames or row covers.
For your tomatoes, I suggest adding some compost to them, make sure they are well watered. I'm not sure why they haven't flowered though. How tall are they right now and what varieties have you planted? You might want to figure out how many days each variety takes to harvest then figure out the dates according when you planted the tomato plants. That might ease your mind. If you've still got some time yet, you should think about some sort of cover for them to keep the temp up around the plants so you will be able to get a harvest. Please let us know when things start happening!

gardengirl72
01-31-2009, 03:26 PM
I also forgot to mention, radishes and Arugula, my personal favorite.