PDA

View Full Version : I going to learn how to propagate

plantoneonme
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I joined a swap on another forum I am on and it looks like I will be learning a new skill...propagating plants. I bet this will be a great skill to have. I have something like 30 cuttings of different things from figs to kiwi to blueberries to flowers and lots more coming and I will be experimenting with growing them. Does anyone have some really good websites to recommend on progatating plants? I am going to look at freeplants.com since Mike has a lot of good tips but I am also looking for other sites as well...you can never get too much information!

I'll take lots of pictures to put on my blog (even if I do have a crappy camera).

Kim

Sandy
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
How about search on YouTube for videos on propagation? I just did a quick search with "propagation plants" and there came many results. You can give it a try and may find something helpful there.

Cheers!

gardengirl72
02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Propagating plants is great. I do it with my grape vines. There is also a way to propagate with live plants. I am doing it with my white Rose of Sharon. I should have a video coming out on it shortly. There are so many different ways of doing it without cutting. This reminds me, I've been meaning to get some Russet cuttings and establishing them here as well.

Harratl
02-07-2009, 05:57 PM
well i used to do them one at a time
used a standard plastic glass probably about 4-5 inches high
buy some of those little planting plugs they are less than $5 for a whole big bag full
take the cutting a bit above a node (i may have the lingo wrong im learning)
cut at a diagonal
scrape the sides of the cutting up about 1/4 to 3/8 inch not all but a bunch
then split the bottom up about half that distance i use a razor or xacto to do this btw
then put the stem into a plug and push it in a bit
put plug and plant into glass trying to keep it upright if not its harder to protect roots but will work
then (whew i dont generally talk this much) stand glass up and place an upside down ziploc looking bag over the glass
i just use one of those curly q fluorescents but others probably better
any how if its cloneable ive done it that easy and never used rooting powder although it may help
when you see roots starting i put paper around the glass to let them grow a bit but you dont have to can plant right away
im sure this may seem confusing just let me know if questions
those cuts are the most important part\

gardengirl72
02-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I also want to try to propagate my hedges other perennial plants that I have around the yard. I've tried to do roses with no success.

Kevin
02-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I also want to try to propagate my hedges other perennial plants that I have around the yard. I've tried to do roses with no success.

Hey Patti, I also had trouble with propagating roses. I finally found a method that is fairly reliable . In the spring I no longer take cuttings , I now use the ground layering method and it is a vast improvement. Good luck; Kevin

shebear
02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Oh you want to know the queen of propagating roses. Ask rosemom....she has amazing luck with them. I saw hundreds of them at her place. I bow to her ability.