PDA

View Full Version : Favorite veggie?

HomesteadBaker
02-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Do you have a vegetable that you just love to grow?

I am not a great pepper fan..... but I absolutely love to grow them! The plant is just so pretty, productive and compact, but stately. Sounds weird, I know.

Any one else have a favorite plant?

shebear
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Yep I love those jalapeno peppers. Can't wait to pickle more this year. It's the one way I can get hubby in the garden. He loves to pick peppers. We're trying about 8 or 9 varieities this year. Everything from Biker Billy's hot ones to ones that are for kids. Hope our friends know what they're getting for Christmas.

Sinfonian
02-06-2009, 10:15 AM
This last year I really got a kick out of my broccoli and cauliflower. The broccoli was shaded by the cauliflower and so the broccoli has to litterally snake it's way around outside the bed to find sun. Aren't plants amazing?

Otherwise, carrots are my favorite. Nothing to speak of on top but so cool below ground. And my eldest loves them!

MoniDew
02-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I know that I'm a weird one! My favorite veggie to eat is kale! *slurp* *yum*!

I've planted some in my salad "bar" - that one bed that is nothing but lettuce mix, and you keep cutting on it until it's too hot out to grow any more! The kale kept coming back, all the way PAST frost! It was wonderful.

This year, I'm going to keep the kale out of the salad "bar" and plant it with my other crucivores (broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc) I'll get bigger heads if I'm not tempted to keep cutting at it.

That's my veggie!

plantoneonme
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Hands down for me it is the tomato!!! I live to eat fresh from the vine tomatoes. It never ceases to amaze me that such a large plant comes from such a small seed.

Katoyia
03-22-2009, 03:12 PM
My favorite veggie is broccoli. Of course, it would be the one that I have not had success with. But I have a great success with tomatoes and zukes, which are my second fave.

Aspen
03-22-2009, 03:27 PM
I have to pick? OK, tomatoes and peppers. All kinds of peppers. I use 'em in chili, I use 'em in spaghetti sauce, I use 'em on sandwiches. I love to roast 'em.

Second picks would have to be zucchini and eggplant.

I am pretty sure this year peas will be near the top of my list!

Kevin
03-22-2009, 05:02 PM
If I have to pick a favorite , It would be hands down ,Turnip Greens . I swear, I'm addicted to them. Kevin

rdsaltpower
03-22-2009, 05:14 PM
tomatoes and peppers, we cook, can and eat them fresh. nuthin better lol!;)

Marcus
03-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Erm lets think I would say my favorites would have to be broccoli, Chard and sweet corn

gardengirl72
03-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I pretty much have about 60 favorite plants to grow in my garden. I love peppers and I'm still learning as much as I can about them. There are so many. Ultimately, some of the best meals that I cook have a variety of veggies so I just can't pick one.

kitsapFG
03-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Well I adore fresh warm vine ripened tomatoes. Another major favorite of mine that I have come to appreciate more and more is swiss chard - particularly I like "Bright Lights" because it is milder flavored AND is so beautiful. I use the young leaves in salad. In addition, I use the leaves in any manner that I would use spinach leaves. I use the stalks sliced up in stir fries and soups. It's a wonderful, productive, beautiful, and almost perennial plant (overwinters very well in my climate).