PDA

View Full Version : I planated a garden in the ground and used bagged garden soil...will this work?

ragtimegal
02-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am new to vegetable gardening and decided one day that I wanted to plant one. I spent many backbreaking hours outside and dug 4 rows, approx. 12" deep x 12"wide, spaced approx 12" apart and about 5' long. It is on a slope, so I dug them going across the slope versus up/down it. I filled each row with bagged garden soil. This was before reading anything about vegebale gardening and finding this site. Everyone appears to be planting above ground gardens. Will my in ground garden work as well? I am also thinking I should have gone deeper now. Should I dig the rows deeper or just dig the entire 8'x5' area so that all of the soil is loose? (I dug rows because of the slope, so I'm not sure how that would work) I don't mind going back and digging more, but I did plant onions in the bottom row, which are coming up nicely I might add. :) I definitely want to go organic (too bad I already put the garden soil in), so I want to make sure everthing is right moving forward.

Any help or advice that you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Angela

gardengirl72
02-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I personally grow above ground in raised beds. I think it is much less work in the long run, but your garden will grow, provided it gets sun, water and nutrients.

If anything i would make mounds not trenches when digging and not worry about digging up the soil at all. Send us a pic if you can, that will help us all design you a plan!

ragtimegal
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks!! My pictures are too large to attach. I tried taking a few in a lower resolution, but no luck. I'll toy around with it and try and get something up.

~Angela

Kittikity
02-09-2009, 02:28 PM
If you use something like photobucket you should be able to edit the picture size.. I usually do mine about 600 pixels wide by whatever it gets adjusted to..

ragtimegal
02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks! I tried the photobucket, I hope this link works...

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/ragtimegal/Gardenlowres1-1.jpg

I'm a little embarassed, as it's not much. I'm hoping it doesn't need to be pretty to be successful! I have a drip hose running through it, and I just set it up on a timer.

I have some tomato plants in a container that I started as small seedlings that I had purchased, and they are growing quite quickly. I will have to transplant them into the garden soon. In addition, I have several veggies in seed packets that I thought I would start indoors.

Let me know if the link doesn't work, and I'll try something else. Also, I'm too impatient to spell check and I type fast (just not accurately), so I apologize for all of the type-o's!

~Angela

Kittikity
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Yup, link works fine.. No, doesn't have to look fancy.. My 'garden' was only a 10'X10' patch of my yard dug up.. Unfortunately, because of my poor soil and hard frosts we got, my garden didn't do too well.. But I have lots of hopes for this spring..

plantoneonme
02-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Once all your plants start growing it will be very lovely...nothing looks better than the dinners you'll put on the table. Kim