PDA

View Full Version : My chickens are laying!!

PJJ
02-10-2009, 02:51 AM
I'm so excited!! My chickens are laying!!! :) They started two weeks ago during our ice storm. (I would have posted sooner but I spent the last 2 weeks at the hospital with my husband and Mother.) We only got 1 that week. Now I'm getting 1 or 2 eggs every 2 or 3 days. It's not much but it's a start!

I've even been getting eggs from the cornishX that I still haven't butchered. Double yolks! I only have 3 of them left. Now my husband doesn't think I should butcher them. They are 5 months old now. I really should have sent them to freezer camp a long time ago. They are doing really well and I think they will be good layers.

Any thoughts on keeping them for the eggs Fred?

Thanks,

Penny

HomesteadBaker
02-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Congrats! It's always exciting when you start getting eggs! And there's nothing better than fresh-from-the-chicken eggs!

plantoneonme
02-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Penny that is so wonderful! I hope to be able to get a couple hens someday because fresh from the chicken eggs can never be matched with store bought. It will take some time to convince the hubby to let me get a couple hens but I'm working on it :D Kim

shebear
02-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah for fresh eggs! So what are you having for breakfast these days.....eggs over easy? LOL

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Dear Penny...

A hen which lays an egg or two

Performs this function just for YOU....

So when you ask me.. what to do?

I say "keep her" well.. until she's through (">

In her position, you'd lay well.. too :D

sorry... maybe too much cappuccino... I shall have another

Kittikity
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Bravo Fred! *standing applause*

Garden Green
02-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Yay fresh eggs! Congratulations on your bird laying for you!

And Fred, that is just too cute!

PJJ
02-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Fred, you are just too funny!! You gave us all a good laugh!

I'm wondering if you might be related to Dr. Suess??:D

Thanks for the advice. These are nasty birds but they've kinda grown on me. They follow me around the yard now. They'll let me pick them up and carry or hold them. I think I'll keep them around for a while.

Thanks!

Penny