PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive propagation chamber

plantoneonme
02-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I placed directions on how to make a propagation chamber for under $14 on my blog. I have grown geraniums from a plant I got from my late grandmother for over 12 years using this method and decided to give it a try on other types of cuttings...I hope it works. Kim

Sinfonian
02-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Great post! Creative use of lots of great ideas here. And your instructions were easy to follow. Well done.

I love that you showed fruit tree/bush potential. I wonder what all you could propogate with cuttings?
On a non edible note, I have wanted to propogate a rhodie to eventually fill a hole in a hedge. I know people with them but haven't found a place selling them. This could come in handy. Thanks!

plantoneonme
02-12-2009, 11:05 AM
I'll keep you updated on any progress...good or bad. I may have to adjust and add bottom heat for the hardwood cuttings but I don't know until I know LOL. It never hurts to try. Kim

MamaGigi
02-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi there!

My parents took cuttings from Grandma's Camellia bushes, Roses, and Azaleas. For the camellia and roses, they would nick the rose in an upwards motion (not down). They would put the cut piece in a 4"x4" gauze bandage with potting soil with a rooting solution on it. With in a couple weeks, they would have roots sticking out the gauze. At that point, they would finish the cut, and roots afterwards. To propigate azaleas and rhodies, my mom would bend the plant she wanted to the ground. Then she would take a small brick and place it on the branch so about 6" showed on the other side. After a couple weeks, roots will have formed. Cut it off on the parent azalea side of the brick. I cut down my parents' pampas grass and divide it into fourths and plant those separately. I've been able to do split plants that have big root balls like this too. Mom always rooted her philadendron in water so we always had nice greenery in our houses in multiple places. Next weekend we're visiting my parents so hopefully I will be able to bring back a piece of my grandparents' farm and my childhood home to my new home for my family.

gardengirl72
02-22-2009, 07:49 PM
what a great idea to continue the family tradition. I love propagating perennials. I've been pretty successful with my rose of sharon. Cuttings allow you to propagate a lot more at a time, but I love the method of bending the branched down and have them root in the ground.

plantoneonme
03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey just an update...the propagation chamber worked out great. The geraniums and eunymous rooted very well. The woody cuttings of native plum and bush cherry had root nodes before sending off in a swap. This is a keeper. Kim