PDA

View Full Version : Planting today

Cynthia
02-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi all,
There has been a lot going on within my family circle, and I haven't been on the forum much - but things are settling down and I am back up to speed.

Today I am planting potatoes and asparagus, plus some jerusalem artichokes. I just got two new raised bed 4 x 10, so I have plenty of room for the new additions.

My tomato seeds did poorly this year - I think my propagation mat thermostat might be malfunctioning. so I have a few good sized seedlings and a bunch of tiny ones - might be buying some tomato plants this year as I like to put my tomatoes in by March 1st.

The lore around here is to trim roses back on Valentine's day, so I'll be pruning and feeding this weekend.

I can't wait to hear what you all are doing!
Cynthia
BTW - I just sent out my Valentine's day edition of my Occasional Newsletter. If you would like a copy you can sign up on my website, or just send me a message with your email and I'll be glad to send one to you via email.

shebear
02-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Oh man I wish you lived closer. I have over 300 tomato seedlings in the backyard and some are huge. I would have loved to give you some.

I planted my pea sprouts today and already have broccoli and lettuce growing. Peppers seedlings are just barely going and I need to start the eggplants soon. The potatoes are in at the community garden and we ordered 100 strawberry plants for there too. They should be in early next week.

It's so exciting planting in the spring. I can't wait for everyone to get warm weather so they can really "play" with their seeds.

Cynthia
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I have done really well with seedlings in the past but as I said, this year it isn't to be.

Do you start eggplant seeds inside? I have a couple of seed packets but haven't grown any before. Maybe I should pop those in some little pots tonight.

I am getting ready to post garden photos, I'll put up a link soon.

Cynthia
02-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Here are the new additions:

2 4x10 beds
one 2-section compost bin that is about 1/2 finished

http://gallery.me.com/cynthiamckenna#100320

shebear
02-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Those beds are great. You did a great job on them. And the compost bin is huge. Hope you have lots of leaves.

Last summer I started eggplants for the fall and they did great so I'm trying this spring. I like starting things indoors so I can watch over the seedlings without having to run outside. I don't do the obvious things like carrots and spinach but do tomatoes and peppers and eggplant. I even started peas this year. After reading "The New Victory Garden", I think I'll even start green beans indoors. The birds always pull up the bean sprouts trying to eat the bean and that just drives me crazy.

If you've never started onions and leeks from seed, by all means, try it. We did some at the community garden this last fall and now we are planting them out. It wasn't near as hard as everyone makes out. Just use fresh seed and barely cover them. Watering is the tough part but with misting wands it's much easier. Next year we may not even buy onion plants if we have the same luck this fall.

I'll let you get back out there and get to work. Tell the cute dog she's doing a good job of supervising. I assume she also acts as the building inspector. The right treats should guarantee no citations.

Sinfonian
02-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Great to see you back and great that you're planting. I have six different tomatoes germinating on the fridge that will be put under lights to grow. First time trying tomatoes from seed. I hope they do well. I should be starting my cole crops indoors this weekend. Nothing's going outside until mid March at the earliest.

Welcome back!

PennyG
02-13-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree, nice job, everything looks great!

MoniDew
02-13-2009, 02:41 PM
oh, you're so neat and tidy! Wish I could say the same! I signed up for your occasional newsletter, too, BTW.

Growing Boy
02-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Just did the second planting of English peas, greens and replaced some Romaine that got washed out in the last deluge.

Cynthia
03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
about 5 weeks later -
the potato plants look fabulous. They grew so fast once they sprouted.
The asparagus crowns are just now sending up tiny stalks - I thought we'd be eating them next year but I read something today that said 5 years till you get a really good harvest. That is a long wait.
just planted beans, radishes, and am going to start arugula and some summer greens next. Also, I got a red pepper, yellow pepper, and jalapeno plant. I could really use an extra red pepper so I am going to keep an eye out for those. I did grow some Italian peppers from seed but they are slow growing - it'll be a month before they are in the ground.

We also did a few squash plants and cucumbers. The onions and the garlic won't be ready for a few weeks and they are taking up valuable landscape! I'd love to get some other veg in the ground but I am running out of room.

I started blackberries this year and I did not expect any fruit, but there are a dozen or more blossoms on the plants. Strawberries are flowering and I am excited about this year's garden.