PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Cincinnati!

Uke_Mochi
02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Hello All!

First, I have to express my thanks to Patti for providing such a valuable resource to the masses. Her video segments contain more useful content then any others I have seen to date.

That being said - about me: I've been an avid gardener for as long as I can remember, love to cook, just completed a certification in Rain Gardening / Rain Barrels / Green Roofs and Gray Water Systems, got a few chickens and a super-cute 3-yr-old gardener-in-training; knitter, carpenter, welder, special effects makeup artist and scenic artist, too - left over from my time in theater and film. I'm currently learning about companion planting and permaculture design, which I am to make a business out of - not to "beat" the system, but to educate and enable people and communities to facilitate sustainable urban food production.

I am truly looking forward to sharing and contributing to this knowledge base!

Cheers!

-Kate

Sinfonian
02-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Welcome Kate! Boy, you are already a jack of all trades. Adding gardening permaculture design will be a great plus. Good luck and welcome!

shebear
02-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Welcome to our group. So tell us about green roofs. That sounds interesting.

MoniDew
02-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Hello! I think that makes two from Cincinnati, recently.

I have a brother and sister-in-law (and nephew) in that area (NW Kentucky, but they say Cincy) My sis-in-law is a photographer, perhaps you've heard of her? Jennifer Summer? My bro runs Brown Mackie colleges. Daniel Summer. Any chance?

plantoneonme
02-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Kate glad you found us...hope you can share some of your different types of gardening with us. Kim

Uke_Mochi
02-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Monica - Sorry, the Summers don't ring a bell. Does not necessarily mean that we haven't crossed paths, however!

shebear - for green roofs, I will start a thread in the education section. Short need-to-know points - I was horribly disapointed to learn that they (at least in the current formulations) are hard to swing with traditional residential structures, with insurance being a HUGE prohibitive factor; if you DO happen to have a slight enough grade on your roof that is strong enough structure-wise to support (up to) 4x-plus the normal roof weight (ugh!!), they are great a greening opportunity that can also add to the insulative rating of your roof. More on the plusses later!