PDA

View Full Version : An easy sprouter to make

plantoneonme
02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
I posted instructions on my blog on how to make a sprouter...you know the kind of sprouts you eat such as alfalfa. We have been eating a lot of sprouts the past few weeks in the salads I grow in the basement for added flavor and nutrition. I have been sprouting things such as radish, alfalfa, mung and adzuki beans, broccoli and more. Each type of sprout adds just a little different flavor. Hope you have time to check it out. Kim

gardengirl72
02-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Love the sprouter and love sprouts. Feel free to post any of my videos on your blog as well.

plantoneonme
02-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Love the sprouter and love sprouts. Feel free to post any of my videos on your blog as well.

Thanks Patti...I need to figure out how its done...I'm still pretty green at this blog thing...but I'm trying. Kim

ecogirl
02-15-2009, 04:20 PM
I love how you can have a cheaper alternative, But I don't get what sort of sprouts these are? What type of sprouts are they?

plantoneonme
02-16-2009, 02:16 PM
I love how you can have a cheaper alternative, But I don't get what sort of sprouts these are? What type of sprouts are they?

I'm talking about the sprouts you eat. You are probably familiar with bean sprouts you can find in the vegetable section of the grocery store. I make all kinds of sprouts to eat in the winter. I sprout mung and adzuki beans, alfalfa, radish, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and a few other seeds to add to my salads. I also started growing lettuce, beets, and spinach under lights in the basement and can get a good size salad a day from under the one light I have. It is working out really well and the sprouts add a little something to just salad greens.

I have been writing a little about it on my blog if you want to see what I have been up to. I hope to be able to get a nicer camera soon and will add more pictures for everyone to see. Kim

alittletouched
02-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey, Kim, just read your blog entry about this and it's just awesome! However, when I'd first read about sprouting mung beans it was from a Japanese cookbook. If I recall correctly, the directions were to put beans in a lidded jar, fill it with water, swirl them about and then put them in the refrigerator. The next day the water was supposed to be filled with sprouts. I have not yet tried this method, though I bought some mung beans a month ago with the intention of trying. When I get home I'll pull out that cook book and double check, to make sure I'm not crazy. I'm also going to use the method when I get home today and let you know if it worked out the way it said it would. If it works for mung sprouts, I wonder if it will work for others? I scent experimentation ahead!

plantoneonme
02-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey, Kim, just read your blog entry about this and it's just awesome! However, when I'd first read about sprouting mung beans it was from a Japanese cookbook. If I recall correctly, the directions were to put beans in a lidded jar, fill it with water, swirl them about and then put them in the refrigerator. The next day the water was supposed to be filled with sprouts. I have not yet tried this method, though I bought some mung beans a month ago with the intention of trying. When I get home I'll pull out that cook book and double check, to make sure I'm not crazy. I'm also going to use the method when I get home today and let you know if it worked out the way it said it would. If it works for mung sprouts, I wonder if it will work for others? I scent experimentation ahead!

I wish it worked that fast! I find it takes about a week to 10 days to get the size sprouts I like (from the mung beans). Alfalfa takes about 4 days....happy eating! Kim

BTW thanks for taking the time to look at my blog.

Kevin
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey Kim , Cool blog, My wife and I have been playing with a similar sprouter ( plastic screen instead of plastic canvas) Try lentils, popcorn , and sunflower seeds. I think you'll be surprised.

alittletouched
02-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Okay, Kim! I found the entry in the cookbook I thought it was in. You're right, I'm a bit off on the timing. And I don't know where I got the refrigerator from. The text from the cookbook is as follows, though:

"Wash, drain, and soak mung beans for about eight hours, drain again, put in a large jar, cover with cool water, and cover the jar with breathable fabric like cheesecloth. Change the water every day--and in a few days the sprouts will be plump and ready to eat." - Wilcox and Suzuki

I still think it's worth a try! Maybe this is a way to get the mung sprouts the size you like them without it taking as long? It does only specifically mention mung for this method, so perhaps it's just the prime way to sprout mung only and would not apply to all. It makes sense to me, anyway, since mung sprouts have always been so succulent, suggesting a great deal of water in the fiber of the sprout itself.

Anyway, I hope the information is interesting and useful to others. I'm going to throw some into a jar and give it a shot. I'll report back when I have some results?

plantoneonme
02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Hey Kim , Cool blog, My wife and I have been playing with a similar sprouter ( plastic screen instead of plastic canvas) Try lentils, popcorn , and sunflower seeds. I think you'll be surprised.

Thanks Kevin, I will give the popcorn and sunflower a try in a couple days as I have those on hand...will have to get some lentils to try soon. Kim

plantoneonme
02-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I still think it's worth a try! Maybe this is a way to get the mung sprouts the size you like them without it taking as long? It does only specifically mention mung for this method, so perhaps it's just the prime way to sprout mung only and would not apply to all. It makes sense to me, anyway, since mung sprouts have always been so succulent, suggesting a great deal of water in the fiber of the sprout itself.

Anyway, I hope the information is interesting and useful to others. I'm going to throw some into a jar and give it a shot. I'll report back when I have some results?

This is basically what I do but I find it better to rinse at least 2 or more times a day. The first batch I did and only rinsed once a day didn't do so well....I think they got too dry in 24 hours. If I didn't drain well enough though, they got funky smelling...not something I wanted to eat. Therefore, rinse minimum twice a day but three is better. Kim

alittletouched
02-17-2009, 12:13 AM
It's almost exactly your method, you're right! I had only meant to suggest that maybe leaving them in more water (and not just damp) as the method I quoted outlines, might be more conducive to plump mung sprouts sooner. It hardly matters, though, what way it's gone about, as long as you love 'em when they're done! I'm definitely going to use your sprouter for all other sprouts in the meantime while I experiment! I've already got some beans soaking!

ecogirl
02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm talking about the sprouts you eat. You are probably familiar with bean sprouts you can find in the vegetable section of the grocery store....
Can you grow bean sprouts in this matter of way?! If so, I HAVE to try this!!!!

plantoneonme
02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Can you grow bean sprouts in this matter of way?! If so, I HAVE to try this!!!!

You bet!!! Take a peak at my blog and you will see a whole plate full. Kim

ecogirl
02-18-2009, 05:34 AM
You bet!!! Take a peak at my blog and you will see a whole plate full. Kim

They look yummy and healthy!!