PDA

View Full Version : YUCKY! White mold growing!

MoniDew
02-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I started quite a few seeds recently, in what was marked ORGANIC potting soil! I also used a bit of ORGANIC fertilizer and mixed the two together to start my seeds. Now everything has a yucky white mold growing all over it!

Wha'do I do?

Growing Boy
02-13-2009, 04:06 PM
You might want to let the soil dry out a bit. It's probably a fungus rather than mold. ( splitting hairs) Make sure it's getting good air circulation. If all else fails spraying it with Chamomile tea or a weak hydrogen peroxide solution is said to help.

Sinfonian
02-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Hmm, when I was germinating corn in coffee filters in plastic bags, I got some white spider web like growth all over. I figured it was a lack of air flow as was said. The upside was I planted them and they grew fine. Not sure if it's the same thing or not.

Good luck!

shebear
02-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Yep I got it too from being too wet. Don't want that because damping off seems to like that. Do what Growing Boy says and it should straighten out.

MoniDew
02-14-2009, 04:05 PM
I had a thought along the same line, of spraying it with apple cider vinegar solution. My seed trays are sitting in front of the sunniest window I have. Even so, this particular seed starting mix does seem to hold moisture for a long time. Don't want it too dry, or I'll kill everything that just started growing. But don't want it too wet, either! So, it looks like I'll be doing the balancing act for a while. Thanks everyone!

shebear
02-14-2009, 04:46 PM
I water from the bottom until they get about 3 or 4 inches tall and I do it in the morning and let them dry out all day and night long. I agree it's a balancing act until they get some size to them.