PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Baltimore Maryland

Blossome
02-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Hello everyone, I'm still pretty new to gardening. I started 2 squarefoot beds last year and did pretty well. This year I plan on expanding. But need to find some natural ways to get rid of pest. Big red ants ate up all my okra last year and some of my tomatoes had stem rot. I would love to make my entire yard an edible garden but that will have to come in the future. I also planted a dwarf fiji apple tree and a peach tree. It's winter time here so I won't know if they survived until it gets warm again. Now I'm working on starting my worm bin and my seeds. Only thing is the lights are very expensive so I guess I'll have to start small and buy just 1. I'm gardening on a budget and need tips.

I love watching the gardengirl videos they are so helpful and encourages me to continue growing my food while living in the city. Most people just think I'm strange. I do have two other neighbors who grow small beds but what I'm trying to be is more self sustaining. So it's going to get bigger. :)

Thanks
Blossom

gardengirl72
02-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Welcome. Your trees should do fine in baltimore. If you are strange then i'm just a weirdo. Can't wait to see pictures.

MoniDew
02-14-2009, 04:09 PM
welcome, Baltimore! glad to have you here! we are weirdo's incorporated now!

plantoneonme
02-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi Blossom and welcome. Your lights don't necessarily have to be expensive. I start all my seedlings under lights that cost under $20. I also grow lettuce during the winter under those same lights for salads. Check out my blog and you will see a couple pictures. Let me know if you want more information about the inexpensive grow lights I use. Kim

Blossome
02-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Thank so much plantoneonme. I really need all the help I can get.

Blossome
02-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you all for the welcome. I do have pictures and videos. I have to pull them off another puter and I will post.

Sinfonian
02-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Welcome! And I can't fathom folks saying you're strange for a few raised beds. What do they know!? I bet they grumble when they see the cost of produce in the store! I bet they don't know how good fresh veggies taste when they come out of your own garden!

Whatever you need, someone here can likely help. Good luck and enjoy your garden!