PDA

View Full Version : Local Delivered - FreshDirect

Ani
09-09-2008, 01:01 AM
In the NJ/NYC area we have FreshDirect, the delivery only supermarket. They have a local farm stand for produce in general, and carry products from a variety of local farms including, milk/ice cream, goat milk, eggs, cheeses, duck, and jams.

The company also has aggressive environmental initiatives including biodiesel trucks (coming partially from oil from their own kitchen).

But the best part is not having to carry groceries up to your 5th floor walk-up :p

AbbeyLehman
09-09-2008, 01:09 AM
That's neat! How do the prices compare to "traditional" shopping?

Ani
09-09-2008, 01:17 AM
It used to be a smidge higher, for the organics at least. They've been able to keep prices steady though for the last year and a half despite the increased cost of food everywhere else, so at the moment it's the cheapest place to get food by about 30% on many items. It is comparable to the famers market.

AbbeyLehman
09-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Man, if only....One of the not-great things about being in a backwards city...Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep growing my own! LOL

plantoneonme
09-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Wow! I am so jealous. This time of year is really easy to shop fresh and local with a couple really good farmer's markets close to my house. I was able to purchase a 1/4 cow from an area farmer whose raises them as grass fed, free range and hormone & antibiotic free. They also delivered the meat prewrapped and frozen to the farmer's market in my city. Next year I am going to order chickens as well (all out this year).

The price was very good compared to buying such high quality meat as the local grocery store charged more than double per pound. It was a little more than if I bought the really cheapo cuts of meat with all that bad stuff in them. He he, since I make lots of soup and the other person I split with doesn't, I got ALL the bones.

Our stores really need to come a loooonnnggg way in the winter with decent produce though. Oh well if I keep expanding my gardens little by little, I won't need to rely on them later on down the road.

gardengirl72
09-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I am pretty envious myself. Smart people should get together and work with some farmers and expand that idea into local markets. It benefits everybody.

Ani
09-15-2008, 11:51 PM
It would be awesome if this idea were expanded and given a little bit of CSA mentality. Some farm products are carried by brand, but I'd like to know which farm ALL my produce came from. I have a feeling FreshDirect is headed in that direction though.

Also, they still don't carry grassfed beef/bones, so I need to take special trips to the farm for that.

I could see this doing well in the Boston area, especially when people don't want to shovel out the car to go shopping ;)