PDA

View Full Version : Spring Fever!

rdsaltpower
02-15-2009, 07:39 PM
I couldn't wait any longer! Got out the tiller and plowed up my garden plot today. I expanded it this year to about 300 sq. ft. The old plot was easy work but the new part was compacted and took a while. I put lime on it to break up the clay and I hope it helps. Will start my seeds next month, can't wait! Meanwhile....http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9386/hpim0168vo2.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim0168vo2.jpg)
:(

MoniDew
02-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I was just having a similar thought. When do I break out the tiller? My garden spot is completely grown over, and I have to move it to a new, larger place anyway. I haven't gardened in a while.... Anyway, I had planned to do Patti style raised beds, but still want the ground level under them. I was gonna till everything, then rake it level. Add some pavers and then the bed frames. Will need the soil next...

So, when do I start? How much time do I allow for each of these steps? Anybody have an idea?

HomesteadBaker
02-16-2009, 08:49 AM
I hear ya! LOL

I got the brand new rototiller (and the payment, hubby is generous that way :rolleyes: ) in the separation agreement.... I can't wait for spring to get here. I am itching to put it to good use! My Mother isn't going to recognize the back yard!! :D

rdsaltpower
02-16-2009, 07:42 PM
I went ahead and tilled my soil while it was good and moist. It sure makes it easier to break ground. My soil is full of clay and gets hard as a brick after about mid april. Even at that it was a good job. I have two compost bins going and that won't be enough to mix in. I will re-till in early April to break it up a little more.

kirataffy
02-17-2009, 08:57 AM
I commend you for working so hard to make your clay soil into something better! I have Spring Fever as well. It is warm in Florida and the birds are building nests. The freezes are over, and everything is dead. I long for green. I am hoping this weekend, I can start the new Spring garden seeds. I will be doing container gardening in the large Rubbermaid containers. I must start watering the lawn, or by May it will look like a beach out there. I vowed not to lose my lawn this year.

Taffy

Sinfonian
02-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Well, I don't til my garden, since I have raised beds, but if you want to build raised beds and fill them, start soon. It takes a ton of time and effort to start up beds like Patties, and in my area st least, cole crops and greens go in the ground soon.

Any chance I had I'd be out there if a tilled garden was a means to and end rather than the end itself.

Oh, and I definitely have spring fever. Seed starting does that to me.

rdsaltpower
02-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, and looking through seed cataloges dosen't help either!:o

Organic Hispanic
02-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Rdsaltpower I got the fever too..Also working on my soil I decided to go with the raised beds Garden Girl style Its been raining cats & dogs here. I have my 1st raised bed ready to go.The chicks in the garage are getting big, so they can go in my 2nd raised bed. Yesterday I bought some seeds & seedlings to get started with a very nice couple who live on .5 acre with the whole area planted with what seemed like everything possible.

I've been really bummed out that I have these 3 big eucalyptus trees in my backyard (easement) that block my sun on the south side & drop leaves everywhere. This morning these tree cutters show up to ask if I could give them access so they can cut down the trees. YES Thank you storms...

Good luck with your garden.:)

new500
02-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Last year I started to late. When should I start them seed in my house. I wan to be ready early this year and have a crop late into fall. I really need help. I live in colorado. but where I live it snows all around us but here. I really need to know when to get my seeds going.

MoniDew
02-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Check with your local garden supply or horticulture extension office to find out the last (average) day of frost for your area. Then add 2 weeks to that date for the soil to warm up . This will give you the date when you want to start putting things in the ground.

Now, start seeds about 6-8 weeks in advance of the "in the ground" date, so they'll be off to a good start by the time you transplant.

Best wishes to you on your new garden!

Cynthia
03-21-2009, 07:07 PM
I've heard recently (2x) that tilling the soil leads to more erosion. Its not an issue with me because I do only raised beds, but I'm wondering if anyone else just plants over or through the previous crops without tilling.

rdsaltpower
03-22-2009, 05:30 PM
This weekend we got our carrot seeds planted. I also planted a Concord Grape vine. Now I have to build a trellis. Anyone know how many years it takes before the vine will bear fruit?

Garden Green
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I've been twitching like a fish out of water while watching spring.

While I'll not have a garden of my own this year, friends of mine have asked me to help with them start one. I'm very pleased that I will get to help them get started on a modest garden (and that they feel I am knowledgable enough to help!). Now I'm not feeling so unfortunate as to not get to do anything this year. We're a couple of weeks behind, but we'll get caught up!

We're going to get some seeds set out in the windows to get sprouting in the next couple of days and then get to work getting a small bed together. They want primarily tomatoes but I'm trying to talk them into some herbs and such to go with those tomatoes, we'll see if I'm successful. Lord knows I have enough seed to share with them.

Here is the really drab part, no tiller, no tools, no nothing. Not even a hoe. I'm, of course, going to lend my tools (provided I can figure out where in storage they are), but we have heavy clay here and that is not a pleasant prospect. No tools and no budget. So instead of a "traditional" raised bed, we're going to lasagna garden. I'm not entirely sure we even have edging, so we'll have to see how creative I can be.

Wish me luck burning off the spring fever!