PDA

View Full Version : First time for roasters

Uke_Mochi
02-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi All-

I've had 3 layers now for roughly 8 months, and we are loving it. We are planning on a new round of chicks, this time for harvest. We may keep one for another layer, but that's up in the air right now.

The big question right now is about food. Our space is very limited, and once the chicks are strong enough, they will be sharing space with our layers until harvest. Is there a big enough difference between layer and broiler feed that we will need to worry about it? Am I going to need to (attempt to) feed them separately?:confused:

Any ideas?

-Kate

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-16-2009, 10:27 AM
This is a good question regarding mill rations for chickens of different "destinations"...

IF you were raising your broilers/fryers alone, there is a meat-maker ration just for their rapid weight gain metabolism.

IF you are rearing them along with your primary laying flock, always establish feed rations to favor those birds condition and health.

Layers need the calcium boost and maintenance vitamins and trace elements in their feed. These aren't necessary for the broiler flock, which I'm assuming you will be harvesting at the 6th or 7th week at the latest? Laying rations are lower in protein than these birds would require and given the choice, would have starter mixes right up until slaughter.

Chick starter crumbs (I don't like mash), would be the beginning diet for your cornish-X birds... I would also avoid medicated feeds for those chicks you plan to eat. And yes, they are "chicks" until they are six weeks of age.

So... overall, feed for everyone? Always feed to favor your standing/permanent flock, that is if they are to run and be fed together.

Hope this answers your question?

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Uke_Mochi
02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Fred-

Thanks for the valuable feedback! I've got to admit, your 6-7 weeks surprised me a little... we had been thinking 10 (or until the fellahs decided to get loud). Our local hatchery (Mt. Healthy Hatcheries http://www.mthealthy.com/page/1395107 ) recommended their "assorted heavies," which should be fun for the first round, then we'll go with the Cornish for the next wave.

Best-

Kate

gardengirl72
02-16-2009, 07:43 PM
You raise the chickens until they are the weight that you want them. If they are for your family you need to figure out the perfect weight of one bird to feet your family. After a certain number of weeks, the amount that you spend to feed and fatten the birds out weighs the pay back. An 8 lb chicken is pretty big. Farmers pretty much have this one down pat.When I raise Turkey I don't let them get more than 20lbs because it won't fit in my fridge. Fred's estimate is right on.

Uke_Mochi
02-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks much, I really appreciate the help... we pick up the chicks on Sunday... there shall be pics!

Uke_Mochi
02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Hey Fred, et al -

So, we brought our chicks home yesterday, and they will be indoors for a few weeks (until feathers come in, etc), but I am in need of some guidance when it comes to introducing them into the same space as our layers. Is this something that should be done gradually (like "supervised play"), or do we just throw em into the mix once they are big enough? :confused:

Thank you!!

K

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Recipe for success with integrating new and old established birds...

Start them with a cage wire, or chicken wire partition, it's important for the birds to be able to hear and see one another while being protected.

Double drinkers and feeders, even when they are introduced without the partition.

It's an old game, for older/stronger birds, to block access to feed and water where new birds are concerned.

How long do you keep them partitioned? This is via observation, if they ignore one another, then this is good... if an established bird takes up a "watch" position on the partition, and attempts to get at those protected? Then more time is needed. They are normally ready to "mix" within a week or so. Again, this is after being in close context day and night with a partition.

Also, introducing new birds to a coop at sunset is a good idea. This way, as day light gradually invades the spaces, the old birds are not "shocked" to see intruders!

If you simply walk in to their enclosure and empty a cage of new birds without any protective system.. expect to see something terrible. Birds will be singled out and potentially pecked to death... others will seek hiding places and may not eat nor drink, only to be found frail and suffering later on.

A minimum of two drinkers, set well apart, and also two feeders with plenty of surface area for the number of birds kept. Even the under dogs can get a quick beak full when the gluttons are not looking, with this setup.

Your meat birds will not be able to fly up to the upper perches.. so, place some lower perches for them (1 foot or less off the floor).

Have fun and keep us posted!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Uke_Mochi
02-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Thank you, Fred!

You have again helped with an important detail - and have confirmed what my instincts told me at the beginning.
You are a great resource!

Thanks again!!

K

JudyH
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Wow, I didn't know that meat birds could be ready in 6 to 7 weeks. That is amazing!

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Most engineered/modified poultry that you get at the primary grocery stores...

is but 5 weeks old at slaughter.

they don't even have breed names, it's down to formula numbers....

when you go to the meat counter, you are looking at bio-engineered miracles

this is exactly why, chicken has gone from costing more than steak, to the cheapest meat on the market.

In the early part of the 20th century, chicken was a delicacy, enjoyed by the farmer on special occasions, or city folks with means...

There was a political campaign, with the slogan "We'll put a chicken in every pot".... meaning we'll restore wealth to the common folks...

It's all boiled down to this, the earlier a bird can be slaughtered, the cheaper it is. 6 six months old back in the day.... to 5 weeks with modern food and agricultural science at full swing.

Another eye opener... also early in the 20th century, eggs were often sold singly... there were scales for individual egg marketing. A dozen eggs back in the 1920's in NY. City, went for $1.00 that was a working man's day wage. Compared with today, egg producing chickens are formulated down to living egg popping machines under sustained climates, 24/7 lighting and conveyors which never stop as they deliver one battery egg after another...
eggs are now for everyone.

We're slowly learning, that this poultry boon... is not so healthy for us, nor habitable for the birds... the tide is turning back to waiting a bit longer for better foods at a higher cost. Not everyone can afford the free range label, so formulated birds are here to stay...

In short, the food science goal;
Make the fattest/heaviest bird by weight, in the shortest amount of time.
Currently testing the effects of providing dietary pro-biotic feeding regimens, started on broilers at a day old.

Interested in breeds? Check out the Cobb 500

Sorry, I sort of carried this one a bit far....

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com