PDA

View Full Version : pygmy or nubian goats for milk

swoop
02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
anyone use pygmy/nubian goats for milk. i would love to hear what your experience has been ie; difficulty, space, etc. i do remember patti mentioning having them for wool(?)

Kittikity
02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Are you asking if a pgymy/nubian cross would be a good milker or which one as separate breeds? Patti has a pygora which is a pygmy/angora cross.. Not sure if they can be milked well, but they are bred mostly for wool..

There are two kinds of small breed goats, pygmies and nigerian dwarves.. Pygmies themselves aren't the best of milkers because they're really small and have udders and teats to match.. They are a little smaller then a medium sized dog and are bred mostly as pets and as a small meat goat.. Nigerian dwarves aren't as stocky as pygmies and are more of a small milking goat.. Their teats can be small too but many people do still milk them.. A lot depends on the line you get and if they were bred for their milking ability..

Nubians are a dairy breed and are tall and have a lighter, more feminine frame.. More about the size of a Great Dane.. But they are some of the best milk goats..

Now, a pgymy/nubian cross is called a kinder and is what I'm working towards.. They are in between the size of the pymgy and the nubian and are used for milk and meat.. They get the nicer udders from the nubians and the stockier bodies from the pygmies.. Since they are a cross, they can get small teats and/or smaller udders.. But with the nubian genes in there, you will get a better udder and milking ability.. If you have a kinder breeder in your area even better..

Yes, I am bragging on the kinders because I think they are an excellent breed.. I love my livestock to have more than one purpose and kinders fulfill two of the major uses for goats.. If I didn't live in Florida I'd try pygora kinders.. = )

HomesteadBaker
02-17-2009, 08:26 PM
I started with 3 does a Nubian, a Sable (a cream colored Saanen), and an Alpine. My favorite milker was the Sable, she gave the most milk and was so easy to milk. I liked the next generation's Nubian/Sable cross.... had the best of both breeds.

I wanted Kinders, but there were no breeders anywhere near us at the time.

Kitty

swoop
02-25-2009, 02:53 PM
what i should have said was - i am looking for the smallest goat for milk production due to limited space - and want to learn everything i can about humane care and management before i decide whether to get any. any info or advice you guys could share would be soooo appreciated:)
thanks!

gardengirl72
02-26-2009, 08:16 AM
It is my understanding, that any lactating goat will provide milk. I think that a pygora could be milked for a quart or liter per day, where a milk goat can give a half gallon per day. But I am not sure. I think that if one had two small milk goats they would probably be able to pull two gallons a milk per week.

I hope that helps.

swoop
02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
thanks patti,

how much space/care/feed do you find you need, and how many goats do you have (if you dont mind my asking). i am in the northeast so i know you guys have similar weather conditions - i don't know what you have for space - i am limited somewhat and have raised beds which i am going to start in the front yard this year as well - i really am dreaming of having a small urban farm - and i have great neighbors that ate really well last summer;). i want to finish building the chicken coop and get the hens outside and after seeing how well i can manage that, i would like to try the goats - just don't want to bite off more than i can chew at once.