PDA

View Full Version : We have baby bunnies!

Kittikity
02-19-2009, 10:42 PM
One of our Florida white does had her kits tonite.. Click on the link for more details..
http://silvermoon-acres.blogspot.com/2009/02/trixie-has-has-her-babies.html

ecogirl
02-20-2009, 04:39 AM
Are you gonna take a picture of them when they've grown? And also are you gonna keep them? Them baby bunnies are so sweet!

Kittikity
02-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I'll be taking more pics.. I like to document growth.. We will be keeping one from each litter..

PennyG
02-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Awwww, they are so cute!

plantoneonme
02-20-2009, 01:09 PM
This is so great...I hope you don't become too attached....I know I would have a problem. Maybe you can simply call them breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack :D Kim

Kittikity
02-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Won't be calling them anything.. None of them made it.. I don't know if it is because it was her first litter or because my kids touched the kits.. But she hasn't fed them and some of them look like she bit them or stepped on them.. I think a lot of it was inexperience because she had them on the wire and only pulled one mouthful of fur.. I have another doe that is due today.. Hopefully she'll do a better job..

gardengirl72
02-20-2009, 07:29 PM
It happens. She is probably learning the tricks. Next time she'll figure it out. It happens. With todays doe, ignore them for a week or so.

Kittikity
02-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, the only reason I touched them was because they were on the wire and I put them in the nest box.. I brought the one dead one in to see if it would revive with some warmth and rubbing.. The kids picked up the other ones because they didn't know that they shouldn't.. I hadn't thought to tell them not to.. Later I brought the nest box in the house because she didn't pull but one mouth full of fur and I was afraid they'd get too cold.. To make things worse, they wouldn't stay together and kept crawling to different corners of the nest box.. Probably trying to look for food.. Her inexperience and ours.. Good thing is that they guy I bought them from has already said that I can bring them back to be bred again when the babies are weaned..

gardengirl72
02-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Kitty, you can not blame yourself or the kids. Its just nature. I have lost many first litters. Some bunnies don't get it. It takes time for a doe to figure it out. Trust me. My doe Todd(I know funny name) is the only rabbit I have owned (and I have had many) that just got the motherhood thing right of the bat.

Part of farm life is unfortunately livestock loss. And never name them until they are weeks old, and then, Lunch, Dinner, snack etc, I hope this helps. I am with you (actually I am in Texas).

Kittikity
02-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Ok, I just have to know to know how a female rabbit got the name of Todd..

I know that most does do things wrong the first time or two.. I just figured some of the other things contributed to it also.. Also just eager for things to go well.. Especially since I've got more nay sayers here then supporters..

Kittikity
02-20-2009, 08:19 PM
I also want to say that I really do appreciate every one's support here.. Keeps me going on the hard days.. :D

gardengirl72
02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Todd got her name, because I name them after friends and family (those I intend to keep that is) and Todd is one of my camera men.

Really don't stress about the bunny thing. I have had Does that are the worst parents ever. Let me know what happens with the other one. If you want to talk about unsupportive family, ask me about my Mom and Grandmother in Law. I swear the celebrated every failure and ignored every success I have ever had.

plantoneonme
02-20-2009, 09:53 PM
So sorry about your bunnies. I hope the next one goes better for you. In a way it will help the family understand the life cycle of food animals but it is a real bummer right now:( Kim

Kittikity
02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Well, apparently the other doe never took because she's about 3 days past due and no babies.. But the guy said I can bring them back to be bred.. Only problem is that I'd have to leave them for a couple days and then go back for them.. Oh, and I was wrong.. He said they've both raised litters before so I have no idea why she didn't take care of them this time..