PDA

View Full Version : Sale of garden seeds booming

rdsaltpower
02-20-2009, 01:21 PM
A good read.http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2009-02-19-recession-vegetable-seeds_N.htm

Sinfonian
02-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Great article. Glad to see what should be happening, happen. Hopefully the taste difference alone will keep them at it and thus create a more sustainable culture! A silver lining I suppose.

Too bad all the companies they quoted buy from the big M. (I believe)

gardengirl72
02-20-2009, 09:43 PM
A real bummer about the big M. But my seeds are available at Olive Barn (http://www.olivebarn.com)right now!

Blossome
02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
A real bummer about the big M. But my seeds are available at Olive Barn (http://www.olivebarn.com)right now!

Oh great! I was wondering where you sell your seeds.

plantoneonme
02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Talked to a friend who owns a greenhouse and garden center today and she confirms that many more seeds are being sold and people are asking a lot of questions on how to garden. It also seems people are getting smarter on the type of seeds they purchase as she has been asked to start stocking organic and heirloom seeds as well as growing out plants to sell. Kim

shebear
02-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Yep our community garden has had 15 people inquire about beds. We'll be full this year. I'm loving it.

First we get them growing food and hooked on the taste of fresh veggies. Then we teach them about the wicked side of the industry. It becomes personal then.......not just business!

It's not nice to manipulate the masses.

JudyH
03-08-2009, 07:34 AM
I read that Burpee experienced a 30% increase seed sales last year. Already this year (by February) they had experienced a 20% increase over last year and everybody hasn't even placed all of their orders yet!

Also, I've been reading at the different poultry (hatchery) sites and many of them are sold out of chicks until May/June. I even read where one is now quoting an August delivery date! They say business was huge last year and this year it's almost unbelievable the number of people ordering chicks (meat and egg layers).

I think people are finally seeing the writing on the wall. Again last night on TV, I heard the D WORD (depression) and I'm hearing this more and more. We need to get back to our roots and learn how to get our hands dirty and be self-sufficient -- something Patti's been saying for quite a while.

Oh, a local stockyard in the next state over had a blurb on their site about how the cattle prices seem to be holding well even though the stock market continues to drop. Hmmm.... wonder why?? LOL :D

Aspen
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM
This increase in seed sales has been noted over at the Simple Living forums, as well. I saw a sign yesterday at TSC that they had bunnies available. I stopped in just to see the rabbits, but a girl and her mom had just bought the last two. I got to peek, but that's all. Good thing I already have two rabbits!

TSC always sells out of their chickens, too.

I just started some of my seeds tonight from Seed Savers. Can't wait for those Black Krim tomatoes!