PDA

View Full Version : Paw paws?

Uke_Mochi
02-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Hello, all!

So, I've got this great rain garden in the works at my neighborhood garden allotment. It is my plan to plant it with (primarily) native edibles and medicinals. I really (and I mean REALLY) want to get a native varietal of paw paw to put in. Does anyone in the general area (Cincinnati, Ohio) happen to have paw paw growing on their property that they would be willing to share/sell? I know that there are varieties available through a lot of the standard seed/plant catalogues, but they tend to be native to zones further south, or maybe grafts, or cultivars, etc..

I would be willing to pay for labor and shipping, or I could come out and dig, etc...

Thanks!!!

-Kate

MoniDew
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I've seen pawpaws listed in garden catalogs for as far north as zone 5. I know because I want one, too. Most cancer-fighting food a person can eat!

What zone are you in, there in Cinci?

Uke_Mochi
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Cincinnati is between 5b and 6a.

It's not that I think that the seed-catalogue variety wouldn't prosper... to the contrary, I know they do very well - it's that for this group of rain gardens (since it is adjacent to a native genotype preserve) is really trying to push the envelope when it comes to showcasing native plants.

What I'm hoping to find is a specimen from someone's wooded property - I've seen them on hikes in the area, I'm just not about to poach from a local park!:o

What I may end up doing is just keeping some seeds from what I get at the FM this year, and I'll just query the vendors as to their sources.

MoniDew
02-24-2009, 01:04 PM
ah, okay. my misunderstanding.

Uke_Mochi
02-25-2009, 08:33 AM
ah, okay. my misunderstanding.
No problem at all!!! This is truly the geek side of gardening, anyway.;)
I actually found a few people from my class that have some native paw paw seeds stratifying right now - if they get enough to germinate, they'll share. If not, I get to try to get 'em to grow next season!!

rdsaltpower
02-26-2009, 07:47 PM
I think I have a few growing near a small ravine up behind my house. They seem to like heavier shaded, moist areas. Unfortunatly none of they are anywhere near big enough to bear fruit. :o