PDA

View Full Version : My Gardenlita...

leydaleon
09-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Gardenlita as I named it... is a mix of Garden + Talita... in spanish... "talita" means the vegetables gardens from our grandparents... So I baptized mine "Gardenlita"

I have Corn, Tomatoes, Strawberries, GreanBeans, Pepper, Lettuce, Onions, and what didn't worked out... carrots, brocoli, and cucumbers.
The strawberries have remained the same, the peppers...bah... a tiny one and are kind of like stuck. Corns are growing. Tomatoes... we've harvested some and lettuce too. Can't wait to try my onions...

Here are some pics... Will update soon... I need to take new pics of my garden this week...

AbbeyLehman
09-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Pretty!! I wish I could sit like that--I wouldn't need wide aisles between beds & I could fit more beds in...

leydaleon
09-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks! I am thinking on getting my lettuces indoors... I just moved in and my living room has a nice sun spot. I am thinking on replant them in a large rectangle pot.
I want to keep gardening through winter. So I need to think of options. I can harvest the corn, and onions normally... but I am thinking on getting the rest in pots to bring to my apartment.
What do you guys recommend??

AbbeyLehman
09-09-2008, 03:34 PM
I think that if you have a spot that gets really great sun that you should go for it! I don't get more than a couple of hours of sun at any one window, so unless I want to build a track around my house to move the plants, it's out for me :) I've used a flourescent light fixture before, but it sure does drive up the electric bill. Wish I could install some well-insulated skylights in the attic to do my seed starting in February--nice and warm up there, too!

leydaleon
09-10-2008, 09:37 PM
I went yesterday to my garden, since I was away for a week. It was taken care of by some friends. It sure need some serious de-weeding! :S I picked up some tomatoes but I noticed something strange. They were kind of bursted in the top. They were ripe but looked really ugly! I need to take them a pic. What can this be? and why? I have some more tomatoes coming up but they are really small. they were the Early Girl and Roma variety and the roma I collected was like 2"! :eek: My peppers are thin and nothing like bell peppers. I also noticed the green beans are sprouting but they are hard... how do I know is time to pick them up?

plantoneonme
09-11-2008, 07:29 AM
I am far from a tomato expert but I was told that the tomatoes will split like that if they suddenly get a lot of water. I do know that this was true for my own garden. We had a month of very dry weather and suddenly lots of rain...nearly all my tomatoes had some splitting. I was also told that if I pick them when they are still turning ripe, that this can be avoided...it has worked so far. Kim

leydaleon
09-11-2008, 09:50 AM
THanks! Actually it makes a lot of sense... There were normal days.. and suddlenly pouring rain 3 days in a row!... next year... I must put an umbrella over them! lol

gardengirl72
09-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I also think that Heirloom tomatoes are supposed to split a little bit anyway. How did the tomato's taste? I am trying to figure out the perfect time to pick tomatos as well. I find my tomato sauces taste better when they are super, almost over ripe, while with salads, I like them just barely ripe.

leydaleon
09-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I have both... over ripe and ripe. The ripe ones I used in salad.. but I had to peel them since the skin is hard. they tasted sweet... I liked it. THey taste like a variety we have in Puerto Rico that my mom as a kid used to eat like any other fruit. The over ripen one... is there... I guess I will try to do some sause with them. I've never done it... so, I'll give it a try...
Today I am going back the garden, to take pics and de-weed. It's been raining a lot and cold (not usual for this time) so I guess there might be no progress with my garden. I plan to give them some plant food for a kick. Let's see if it works.

AbbeyLehman
09-13-2008, 11:44 PM
I've found that the different varieties have SUCH different flavors that it almost doesn't matter *when* I pick them (as long as they're relatively ready)...I like the Super Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes (I know, it's a hybrid...but it's one I'm going to keep buying until I find an heirloom that tastes similar!) and the Park's Whoppers were good this year. Lemon Boy was tasty, but the grape tomatoes were really not what I was expecting. The Early Girls were also disappointing.

All the seeds that I had started went kaput when they got caught in the early rains this year, so I bought plants to catch up on the tomato season. *Definitely* starting seeds this year, and lots of them in case of more foul weather!

Patti, I know you sell your extra seedlings...What do the rest of y'all do with your "extras"?? I have a LITTLE extra space, but not much....Maybe I should try to sell them to neighbors and such? We may have to try that this year.

plantoneonme
09-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks! I am thinking on getting my lettuces indoors... I just moved in and my living room has a nice sun spot. I am thinking on replant them in a large rectangle pot.
I want to keep gardening through winter. So I need to think of options. I can harvest the corn, and onions normally... but I am thinking on getting the rest in pots to bring to my apartment.
What do you guys recommend??

I'm not sure if it will work but I used plain old "shop lights" from Lowes as growing lights for my seedlings. They were all vigorous and were not leggy at all when the lights were kept about 2-3" above the plants. I am thinking that even in a sunny window, you may need to suppliment the light some. The light were under $10 each and would be perfect over a rectangular box. I know herbs work well this way too. I have read quite a bit and found things like tomatoes need some very expensive lights though :(

plantoneonme
09-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Patti, I know you sell your extra seedlings...What do the rest of y'all do with your "extras"?? I have a LITTLE extra space, but not much....Maybe I should try to sell them to neighbors and such? We may have to try that this year.

I gave them away to friends and then to a seniors center. I got lots of hugs and kisses that day :)

Kim

gardengirl72
09-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I give more away then I ever sell. Hugs and kisses work for me too.