PDA

View Full Version : Catfish in rainbarrels

plantoneonme
02-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I had this idea that I am going to try this year. A neighbor of my daughter's put channel cats into his pond and they are taking over. He eats them when then get to be about 6" long but still he has more than he would like in his small pond. I was thinking of putting a couple in each rain barrell to see if I can raise them to eating size. Since they are scavengers, I think I would be able to feed them scraps of meat and other things from the kitchen. I could still use the water from the rain barrels to water the garden which in turn would help keep the water fresh for the fish as new water would be added when it rains. I plan on hooking up several trash can rain barrels together so the water can flow from one can to the next before going to the gardens.

I can also get ahold of crawfish from the lake up north but have to research to see if the cats would eat them...if so they could get their own barrel.

So what do you all think? Think it would work? Kim

boyd3
02-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Hm... I won't go into a rant here I'll just give you two of my FAVORITE sites on the subject :)

http://aquaponicshq.com/
http://backyardaquaponics.com/ <----- Server gets bogged sometimes because it's so popular in Australia and NZ

With care I think it will work. I was going to visit a new aquaponic farm in Texas about 3 or 4 weeks ago while I was down there, but a big ice storm sent me scurrying for cover... (southerners don't know how to drive on the ice and snow?!?!?!?!):D

Uke_Mochi
02-24-2009, 05:35 PM
WOW! What an interesting idea! I've got to admit, that through my studies, no-one ever suggested raising fish, etc. inside of a rain barrel. My gut reaction is:
1) sunlight / oxygen to the critters, since most of the designs I've seen are enclosed (to prohibit mosquito breeding) - but, with the trash-can design, and something to eat the mosquito larvae, I'm sure you could work something out;
2) what do do during drought - with the daisy-chain concept and fishies in the first barrel, it might work, but it's something to consider (ie, having to "water" the rain barrel to keep the fish, etc. alive).

If you don't mind, I'll bring the concept up to my prof., just to get his thoughts on the matter. (I will not bring it up if you would prefer that I don't)

plantoneonme
02-24-2009, 08:09 PM
WOW! What an interesting idea! I've got to admit, that through my studies, no-one ever suggested raising fish, etc. inside of a rain barrel. My gut reaction is:
1) sunlight / oxygen to the critters, since most of the designs I've seen are enclosed (to prohibit mosquito breeding) - but, with the trash-can design, and something to eat the mosquito larvae, I'm sure you could work something out;
2) what do do during drought - with the daisy-chain concept and fishies in the first barrel, it might work, but it's something to consider (ie, having to "water" the rain barrel to keep the fish, etc. alive).

If you don't mind, I'll bring the concept up to my prof., just to get his thoughts on the matter. (I will not bring it up if you would prefer that I don't)

Please by all means bring it up to your prof. Living in Michigan I don't really have to worry about drought too much so I don't think getting fresh water into the barrels is too much of a problem. I was still thinking that limiting sunlight would not be a bad thing since catfish usually like it pretty dark. If oxygen plants were needed I think a light colored barrel such as white with a large surface on top cut out and some lake plants would help if it was needed. I would love any input on this matter. Kim

gardengirl72
02-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I think this would work. If you see them at the surface sucking for air, maybe an small air pump as an addition. I want to see what happens here! Thanks Kim!

Sinfonian
02-25-2009, 02:18 PM
I must be confused. Rain barrels are totally enclosed. Opening and closing them to check on your fish would be troublesome. Also, do any fish like no light at all? Very interesting idea.

plantoneonme
02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
I must be confused. Rain barrels are totally enclosed. Opening and closing them to check on your fish would be troublesome. Also, do any fish like no light at all? Very interesting idea.

The rain barrels I plan on making use trash cans instead of the normal barrels most people purchase. I have one which works great and is much easier to make and handle then the barrels with the 2" opening. I can easily get a spout on the bottom of the trash can without much hassle.

Here is a link of the type I am talking about...
http://america-the-beautiful.org/free_seeds/index.php

I can easily take off the top to tend to the fish, feed them, check the quality of the water and harvest them. If they seem to want more light I could simply leave the top off...the fish would eat any mosquite larve.

I want to change the plan slightly so the overflow hole would flow into the next barrel and so on. I would also have a connection near the bottom with a turn off valve so I could let water from a more full barrel into one that may need more water. I could easily control the quality of the fishes water this way.

I would also think that the fish would make a natural fertilizer for my plants. Anyway if I get the system up an running this year, I'll take plenty of pictures for my blog. I will also have to figure out what to do with the cats in the winter since the barrels would freeze completely....maybe just keep a bubbler going would be all I would need but not sure. Smaller cats could come live inside though in a tank. Hey another idea....I could then use their waste water on my indoor salad garden. !

Warlord
02-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I asked my fellow co-workers about this. One, an avid year-round fisherman told me that Channel cats are like goldfish they grow to the size of their container. In rain barrels they would get to a certain size and in a horse trough they would grow larger. My other co-worker that also has a part time job at a fish & pet store told me that keeping catfish in a rainbarrel would most likley work as long as you have some device creating air bubbles or airrating the water. I think if you do decide to try this you could place the fish in the center barrels of an inter-linked barrel system. The barrels in front would store clean fresh water to go into the fish barrels between long periods with little to no rain. The last barrels in the chain would store the old fish water full of nutrients ready to go to your garden. I hope your idea with the fish works. Remember to keep somekind of records. As with most new projects its a matter of trial and error. Warren

gardengirl72
03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Records and Pictures, this could be big. Big!

plantoneonme
03-01-2009, 11:13 PM
You know at first this was just a thought but now it sounds like something I may look into a little more seriously. Kim

Uke_Mochi
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi Kim!

Well, I have only been able to get the most cryptic of answers from my mentor (due to lack of time), but he seems to think that there is no reason NOT to do something like this during not-frozen months. There was mention of a toilet flushing apparatus, and "additional tubing," so I will make a point to corner him and get some details.

More as I get it!

-K

plantoneonme
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Kim!

Well, I have only been able to get the most cryptic of answers from my mentor (due to lack of time), but he seems to think that there is no reason NOT to do something like this during not-frozen months. There was mention of a toilet flushing apparatus, and "additional tubing," so I will make a point to corner him and get some details.

More as I get it!

-K

Wow now I need to know! Kim

Buster
03-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Try this site...

http://massmind.org/techref/other/pond/catfishworms.htm

Very much along the lines of what you are talking about. I have a 1 acre pond behind my house and plan to create a pen for catfish (it is already stocked with bass and perch and I want to protect my fingerlings). But I am also toying with starting them out in a similar system to the above only using some old freezers I found out in my stables when I moved in.

You are going to have to figure out some way to keep the water oxygenated and filtered, I think, in order to keep your fish healthy, but the above link should work for that.

plantoneonme
03-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey Buster this is an awesome link. As usual someone else has come up with the idea first :) Kim

Buster
03-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey Buster this is an awesome link. As usual someone else has come up with the idea first :) Kim

But that's a good thing. Someone else made all the mistakes so we won't have to. :)

Keep us posted on your progress. I haven't even started on my project (still double-digging garden beds right now), but when I do I'll let you know what is going on. What works for me, what doesn't, etc.

I ordered the following book from my local library via Inlerlibrary Loan, and it is helping me a lot. It's an expensive book, but libraries are free... my favorite price.

Channel Catfish Farming Handbook (http://books.google.com/books?id=PdxLfZah5V0C&printsec=frontcover&client=firefox-a)
By Craig S. Tucker, C. C. Tucker, Edwin Robinson

Razorback21
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
One possible solution to raising fish and Patti has talked about in one of her videos is aquaponics. A system really isn't that complex to set up and you can make it as large or as small as you like. We use catfish in our aquaponics setup because that is what we like to eat. You can grow most any type of plant as well!

The earlier post alluded to the popularity of this way of growing veggies and fish in Australia, but it can work in here in the USA as well!

Garden Green
05-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Here's a guy on you tube doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRdGbd9ZQ2c

Sabbath
05-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Here's a guy on you tube doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRdGbd9ZQ2c

Holy cow! Did you see his two week follow up?

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE TOMATO PLANTS!! GEEZ LOUISE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMvbiUxpK00

Sabbath
05-03-2009, 05:32 PM
This is a very cool idea. I wanted to do something like this, sort of a very small aquaponics system, but I want to research it some more. Keep any info coming! I might want to try this!

Garden Green
05-05-2009, 08:44 PM
This isn't exactly catfish in a barrel but wow, this guy has his work and his methods cut out for him.

http://www.naphtha.us/naphtha/hydro/hydro.htm

Sabbath
05-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I have been thinking about this more and more.

So, if there was a heater and a pump involved, and it was at least the middle of three rain barrels, and you had a way to shut off from draining the fishes barrels (ya know, in case you got a bit overzealous with your watering ;), is there any reason that this wouldn't work? I mean, The only concern I can think of is fluctuating temperatures. It should be fine for the fish during a rain storm, especially if they aren't the first barrel. If they are in the center, an overflow barrel on one side, and the first barrel on the other side, shouldn't they be just fine?

plantoneonme
05-15-2009, 09:19 PM
I have been thinking about this more and more.

So, if there was a heater and a pump involved, and it was at least the middle of three rain barrels, and you had a way to shut off from draining the fishes barrels (ya know, in case you got a bit overzealous with your watering ;), is there any reason that this wouldn't work? I mean, The only concern I can think of is fluctuating temperatures. It should be fine for the fish during a rain storm, especially if they aren't the first barrel. If they are in the center, an overflow barrel on one side, and the first barrel on the other side, shouldn't they be just fine?

I have done quite a bit of reading and think it is very feasible to do this set up with the proper fish. You would need some native to your area I believe for best results. For example in Michigan channel cats are common as well as bull heads. Heat is not necessary except in the winter in an above ground set up, but I think there is a way to solve this as well. I would bury a can in the ground so that it only sticks up about 6" or so above grade (of course in an area that does not flood). With a bubbler on all winter, I think the fish would do just fine. A friend keeps koi and goldfish in his pond all winter this way which is only 32" deep so I am pretty sure this would work. Another option I have considered is to see if there is a way to tell male from female cats. I would only keep a breeding pair over the winter and clean and freeze the rest...less to dirty the barrel during the winter or another option would be to bring them indoors to a fish tank.

In order to keep from draining the barrel when watering, why not put the fish into the first barrel? They certainly won't suffer from fresh water when it rains. Then put the overflow on the top of the barrel to the next one but on the bottoms of the remaining ones with the shut off valve on the last in the line. You could then drain all the barrels except the first one which contains the fish.

I was hoping to give this a try but right now things are too crazy but if I get a chance to get a few cats I certainly will. I have also been considering perch (which I much prefer the flavor) or even sunfish. If you do give it a try, please let us know how it works for you. Kim

Sabbath
05-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I think part of the reason I would choose to use a heater, is because the type of fish I would want to raise would be tilapia. They just are so resilient. But I think a bluegill or rainbow trout would be good too.

I wasn't sure if the fish would be okay with being in the first barrel, but I think you're right, they would likely be fine. Hmmm......it's probably a bit late to start that this season (since I can't have it done like.....today). So maybe next year. But my goodness I want to try. Sounds like it would be a very feasible idea!

PJJ
05-16-2009, 02:19 AM
Kim,

Here is a link that has a free download for how to instructions to make a system using the toilet tank flusher. Hope this helps. Looks like it would work really well.

http://www.fastonline.org/content/view/15/29/

And a video using the flush system too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG-bB7d1n2w&feature=related

cbownesouth
08-24-2009, 10:50 PM
A good general rule is the more oxygenated the water is the more fish can live in less space so in a rain barrel that would be your key.

cityworm
08-30-2009, 10:07 AM
In an above system a heater will keep it from freezing but also you can use some sort circulating pump(flow rate doesnt have to be strong just enough to keep water moving). Many people keep koi out all winter long. Channel cats can also be kept out all year.

cityworm
08-30-2009, 10:18 AM
When ever setting up fish that you plan to eat check out your source and make sure no meds were used.Remember meds are absorbed into the meat of the fish. Many meds are banned on using on fish consumed by people but that doesnt mean they were not used.

gardengirl72
09-01-2009, 11:03 AM
How long does it take for the fish to grow to a harvestable size?

cityworm
09-06-2009, 07:07 PM
How long does it take for the fish to grow to a harvestable size?

Patti
Depends on many things. What type of fish( I am guessing catfish)? Size of the container? What and how often you feed the fish?