PDA

View Full Version : How do I keep my work from curling?

Kittikity
02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I want to crochet my daughter a simple poncho.. But on another project I was making, it started curling.. I don't want the poncho to curl.. Just lay flat.. Here is a pic of the dog sweater I crocheted where it was curling.. I'm sure I did something wrong to cause it.. But is there anything I can do to specifically avoid it?

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73/Kittikity/crafty/bonniesweater2.jpg

MoniDew
02-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Actually, you don't necessarily have to DO anything to cause it.

It's because we start and end rows differently - with different types of stitches, different tension, etc. The work tends to pull, as if it wants to create a spiral, in response to this.

In knitting, there is a simple solution - which is to start and end each row in the same stitch *usually a knit-1 stitch* even on the purl-accross rows. (creating a 1-stitch garter column all the way up both sides) That gives you a snug, almost bound off edge all the way up.

For crochet, you might have to invent something similar. If you start a row with a chain-2 or chain-3, I realize you can't end the row in similar fashion, because you need your working yarn at the top of the stitch, not at the bottom. *unless you want to slip stitch your way back up the chain. That would leave your end on that side thicker on every other row. But, it may work, because as you turn your work, you would have an odd (thick) row every-other on both sides. Hmm... Try it and see if it helps.

Also, depending on the type of yarn you are using, you can block your piece to help prevent the curling. Natural yarns are fairly simply to block, either with steam or by dampening them and pinning them into the desired shape. Acrylic yarns don't block quite as easily. It has a mind of its own and tends returns to its original shape spontaneously. You may have to dampen and pin it down until dry. Even then, once the pins are removed, it may tend to curl on you.

I hope you can find a workable solution! Let me know how it turns out.

Kittikity
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Is there a stitch I could do around the edge after I'm done with the main part? Like something that will make the edges really stiff and straight?

MoniDew
03-02-2009, 07:13 PM
:thumps head: DUH! Of course! You could certainly single stitch around the edges!