PDA

View Full Version : My worm pets lol

leydaleon
09-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Here are some pics of my worms.. I need to update them... But these pics are from when I started my worm bin.

I followed this video for constructing my bin...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxhEQEA0GN8&feature=related

and followed other links ideas... just search in youtube for vermicomposting...

I used the typical blue bin... I live in a small apartment and live in a dry cold weather most of the time (northern Colorado), so this has worked well... so far... no dead worms... and I started it back in June. So far.. is coming great... again... I need to post updated pics.. but I help this setting up pics help anyone.

leydaleon
09-09-2008, 02:47 PM
more pics...

AbbeyLehman
09-09-2008, 03:30 PM
That looks so easy! I think it's time I finally start this up...it will work PERFECTLY for winter, since trudging out to the compost pile in 3 or 4 feet of snow isn't real appealing :) Your son is SOOO cute!!

gardengirl72
09-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Thank you so much for the pics! That is sure to inspire more people. Nicely done.

plantoneonme
09-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Do you think I could get it started with worms from my compost pile?

leydaleon
09-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Sure! Why not!

Now I am encountering the problem of having too much scraps and I don't want to overfeed them.

I took recent pictures, I will post them soon...:)

leydaleon
11-07-2008, 10:15 AM
here are my updated worm pics... they do look FAT! apparently they are eating well... I got scared to kill them because the last rainy day here... my bin was outside and it got really damped wet. I tried took it out from the airing bin and put it inside to wait for it to dry up... and no drying up... i thought they were going to die for over moisture ... but they are FAT and happy! :D So far... I put the second round of dry paper because they ate all the one that was there since it got wet too... but so far... almost 1/2 the bin is compost!!!! I need to start thinking about getting some compost out... with no worms of course... might try the migration technique... will keep you posted... oh... and I added some autumn leaves! :)

leydaleon
11-07-2008, 10:27 AM
sorry couldn't attach my pic... no matter what i do it exceeds the forum's quota :(

gardengirl72
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I just shot a worm bin video last weekend!

leydaleon
11-07-2008, 09:16 PM
let us know when is posted in your website! :D

Sinfonian
11-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Do you think I could get it started with worms from my compost pile?

I've never done it, though I've researched it a great deal (just chicken I guess), however, i've been told not to use garden worms. They don't compost well outside of a dirt environment. Red worms don't like dirt environments, and withstand wide temperature swings, so they're perfect for vermicomposting. Anyway, that's what I've heard from experienced folks.

Cabellas is another source for red worms. Pretty cheap if I recall when I checked. And since they breed like rabbits, you don't need much I understand...

Garden Green
11-09-2008, 11:26 PM
http://vashonwormguy.com/information/

You can buy some from "The Worm Guy" who has a great informational website and a few videos about his efforts on the island he lives on to eliminate food waste due to the land fill on the island being closed.

leydaleon
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Surprise, surprise in my compost bin..... I was on vacations for 2 weeks. Now that I came back when I went to feed my worms.... I got 3 sprouts growing there!!!! 1 carrot and 2 sweet potatoes ones... I dumped some carrot and sweet potatoes scraps and they grew.... I don't know what to do... move them to a pot, leave them there... or throw them.... I guess the idea of throwing them is that they are big stems with NO leaves on it... can it be because there is no light in there? If I move them to a pot, will they grow leaves? Any insights?

gardengirl72
01-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I think you should transplant them. See what happens. My worm bin video is totally inspired by this thread.

leydaleon
01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I'll do that and see what happens...

I can't wait to see your video... let us know!!!! :D

Sinfonian
01-13-2009, 05:12 PM
I love the Worm Guy. My family had property on Vashon growing up. Unfortunately we sold it and there's no reason to happen by the island to see his setup or I would.

leydaleon
04-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I must start thinking on migrating my worms from one side of the bin to the other... I would like to use some compost for this year's garden? Has anyone tried this. I've read to just put your food in one side of the bin so all the worms look for the food there!

plantoneonme
04-06-2009, 03:22 PM
I must start thinking on migrating my worms from one side of the bin to the other... I would like to use some compost for this year's garden? Has anyone tried this. I've read to just put your food in one side of the bin so all the worms look for the food there!

I haven't gotten to the point of harvest yet but this is the method I am going to try. Make a screen out of 1/4" hardware cloth so it will just fit inside your worm bin. Place the worm bin material inside the screen. Place fresh bedding into the bottom of the worm bin and place the casting filled screen on top. Shine a bright light onto the compost. The worms will naturally migrate to the new bedding away from the light. The castings can now be used.

The only problem I see with this method is that there may be some worm egg cases left behind. To solve this problem. Place the worm free material into another container and wait 2 weeks. The worms will have all hatched by then. Now take the material and put it back on the screen and do as before. Now the castings will be totally worm free. Kim

Backyard Permaculture
04-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I often wonder why such great enphasis is made on getting alllllllllll the worms out of the compost before applying the compost to the garden.

# 1 the worms will aid your garden as well as the compost. Although they are not the worms that live in typical unamended soil, if you are adding organic mulch and compost/vermicompost to your soil, the worms can continue the composting process in the amended soil

#2 the worms reproduce so quickly that they will fill the worm bin shortly with more worms as long as they have the bedding and food to fuel it.

the number of worms in any worm bin will always adjust itself to the space, bedding and food available. If any of those 3 things are reduced, the population of worms will be reduced accordingly. Likewise, it they are increased, population will also increase.

In the event that there is a die off of worms, the remaining worms will even feed off the deceased worms

Everything gets recycled

Any rate, don't be panicky that you might accidently put worms in your garden

I usually use worm compost for potting soil, and usually make sure a worm or two is in each pot

Ron

leydaleon
04-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I will not panic if some worms are still in the compost that I will take out of my bin... BUT I HAVE SO MANY WORMS! :p I want to keep the composting bin with the worms, so I will feed one side in hope that the majority migrate to that side and then take that compost to distribute in my garden. :) I wonder how long does it takes!