PDA

View Full Version : Seedlings in my worm bin

Organic Hispanic
02-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Not sure whats growing except for a red onion I threw in my wriggly wranch bin is it safe to transplant stuff growing there into a raised bed. Any suggestions welcome.... :confused:

Sinfonian
02-27-2009, 10:18 AM
I don't see why not. You may not like what you get though. If the parent was storebought, it could be a hybrid that won't grow true. Good luck with the experiment.

angorabunlovr
02-28-2009, 11:55 AM
iv heard that you couldnt put onions in your worm bin. since worms breathe through there skin the onion burns them, but thats just what i heard maybe its if you only put onions in then the worms will die i dont know?:confused:

leydaleon
04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
That happened to me too!!!! but mine was a carrot I think! lol I transplanted it and it died... I don't know why.. but I was surpised in the first place how it growed there in a few days! I was so surprised! My bin has a lid and there was no light! OH well! I would transplant it with some of the compost already created there. I think that was my mistake. I just transplanted it as is.

kristim23
04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi! I just saw a video on you tube and it said onions, citrus and starch are ok, in moderation. Not sure if thats once a week, month or what. BUT I am definetly going to set one up! I have wanted to compost my kitchen scraps for a while, but don't really have enough for a big bin outside, so this is perfect!
I do have a few questions, though. How often does the bottom need drained? How fast do the worms multiply, how do you know how many is too many? And can you use shredded "shiny" paper?

flatlander
04-10-2009, 08:44 AM
How often does the bottom need drained? How fast do the worms multiply, how do you know how many is too many? And can you use shredded "shiny" paper?

Red wigglers will usually double in population every 3-5 months depending on how well they like the environment. It's kind of a "they look crowded" thing for me, but i usually divide mine every fall when i move my bins from the outside to the basement. They won't really overpopulate as being crowded will limit the population increase somewhat. And lastly, no...don't put in the shiny paper. It is supposed to have an ink in it that isn't good for the boys. I've read that however, I've never done any experimenting with different paper.

kristim23
04-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Flatlander,
Thanks a bunch! I think I am going to put my bin together this weekend. -Kristi

Blossome
04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
I have a few in my bin I found the other day. I just broke them up and left there to die and be recycled by the worms. I had no idea what is was growing anyway.

Backyard Permaculture
04-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Actually, a worm bin is an excellent starting medium for many seeds. I have had a lot of success germingating avocados and mangos in my worm bins

leydaleon
04-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Actually, a worm bin is an excellent starting medium for many seeds. I have had a lot of success germingating avocados and mangos in my worm bins

Avocados and mangos? Wow! Thanks for the idea! I will have it in mind when I get back to Puerto Rico! :)

mattuu
04-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't recommend onions or garlic in the worm farm for two reasons, smell; and if you don't soften them and remove the skin and they are fairly fresh onions they could take up to 6 months to decompose inviting pests such as flies and rodents into your worm farm. Bad idea. Boiling them first should be fine.

Citrus is fine to put in your worm farm as long as you squeeze some of the juice out first to prevent your vermicast from being to acidic.