PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question re: planting

greenmama777
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Ok, next question from novice gardener here! Once you go thru all this work (I mean fun!) of getting your garden established and you've planted your herbs and veggies, do they just continue to grow all summer or do you have to replant some and start them all over again? Is this an annual/perennial issue? And do you have to wait until later in the summer to plant things like squash and pumpkins or do they come out later because they have a much longer growing period? Thanks for answering my strange questions! :D

plantoneonme
02-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Ok, next question from novice gardener here! Once you go thru all this work (I mean fun!) of getting your garden established and you've planted your herbs and veggies, do they just continue to grow all summer or do you have to replant some and start them all over again? Is this an annual/perennial issue? And do you have to wait until later in the summer to plant things like squash and pumpkins or do they come out later because they have a much longer growing period? Thanks for answering my strange questions! :D

First let me say my absolute best recommendation for a new gardener is to start SMALL! We all want to get a years supply of vegetables from our very first garden and often give up in the process...believe me I know of which I speak :D

First make a list of what you like to eat and then do a good search on the different types of things you would like to grow. You will find some very easy and some require a lot more work and have a larger degree of difficulty. For example, bush beans are pretty much plant and let grow while tomatoes need to be started indoors, babied a lot, hardened off and then planted. By doing these steps first you will be able to decide what you want to grow from seed and what you may want to purchase for the first time garden.

Also while looking up the different vegetables, you will find lots of information about when they can be planted out side and whether it is recommended to plant as transplants or seeds. Some plants are considered cool weather crops and can be started when the temperatures are still relatively cold such as leaf lettuce, carrots, beets to name a few. Some seeds will only germinate when the soil temperature is quite warm such as beans, corn, melons to name a few.

You will also find lots of information during your search as to how far apart things need to be planted. One excellent website is Square Foot Gardening by Mel Barthlomew who also has a couple great books. You will find you can plant 9 bush beans in just 1 sq foot and broccoli just 1 per sq ft. Vining crops such as melons and pumpkins will either need to have LOTS of room to spread or will need to be trained on a trellis.

Most vegetable plants are more of an annual with a few exceptions such as asparagus, rhubarb, some herbs and a few others...but the vast majority will need to be planted every year.

You have more fruits that are perinneals such as berries and different fruit trees as an example.

Many of your cool weather crops do not fare well in the heat of summer and will bolt or go to seed...these can be taken out though and replanted later for another harvest in the fall. Some plants may take an entire season to bear any edible food. In doing your search you will also find good information as to how long it normally takes a seed to germinate and how long before it bears food.

The best part of gardening, besides the eating, is in the learning process. I taught 6 different families how to grow a very small garden last year and all had good success. Four of the gardens were primarily tended to by 3-5 year old children. They did not get enough produce to feed the family much but they did learn a lot and can now decide if they want to have a much larger garden. Believe it or not, most of those same families have never eaten some of the vegetables fresh but only canned...it surprised me that they had no idea what to do with something I take so for granted as fresh green beans!

If you would like specifics on certain plants let us know and maybe we can give more detailed information. Kim

gardengirl72
03-01-2009, 06:54 PM
As usual, Kim gives great advise. I stagger plant and get a near continuous harvest! Start small and expand gradually later. Trust me and Kim.