PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a Video on Sugar Maple in the City

gardengirl72
02-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Yes, that's right, one of my neighbors taps the silver maple trees in his backyard and makes maple syrup. It is too good to pass up and a key to my theory of urban sustainability, barter and trade within a community must be supported. I would gladly trade my tomato's and cukes for maple syrup. And then, since the City plants maple trees, why not request that they plant Sugar Maple?

Anyway, I am super excited about the shoot, and when you meet the man who is showing me the ropes, it is country, moved to the city. Stay tuned for some new Mel video tommorow and a sneak preview from the March issue of the magazine.

shebear
02-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Cool. I'd like to have a neighbor who did that. Can't wait to see the video.

MoniDew
02-28-2009, 06:55 PM
neither can I! Sounds cool!

plantoneonme
03-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I swear you must have esp or something. I was doing research on how to tap trees so Jordan (my 4 year old granddaughter) and I can start collecting some sap this week. I only have access to 2 trees but even if I can only get a cup of syrup I thought it would be a fun and tasty learning experience for both of us.

I found out that I can just drill a hole in the tree so some flexible tubing will fit tightly and then just run it into milk jugs or buckets. I already have the tubing, jugs and a bucket so my cost will be nothing. I love finding ways to reuse things most people throw away.

I'll look forward to that video and promise to post pictures to my blog also. Kim

ecogirl
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
making me hungry!!!

gardengirl72
03-05-2009, 09:00 PM
It was so easy and simple! And my neighbor only has two trees and has made almost a gallon already. He gave me some that is simply devine. The sap is great even if it isn't fully boiled down I discovered, and it tastes like sugar cane juice.

Really amazing!

HomesteadBaker
03-06-2009, 02:50 PM
I tapped 2 sugar maples in my front yard this morning! LOL I have already pulled off 3 gallons of sap! The sap is really running today! woohoo!