PDA

View Full Version : Moving plants/trees

onesmallshift
03-02-2009, 04:05 AM
My rhubarb needs to be moved, and divided, but there are already some buds an inch or two above ground (I'm in the PNW). Can I do that now or should I wait until fall?

Also, I have a rescued Japanese maple that I would like to move. It's about 4' tall but it's previous owner practically killed it by over pruning. It's been in its current location for two years and it has lots of new growth and actually made a thick canopy last year. This year I would like to put in raised beds in that part of my yard. Can I move the tree now?

plantoneonme
03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Last year I moved my rhubarb when it was already at harvest stage. I cut down the new growth (and ate it) and then moved it. I did not harvest any new growth after that in order to let the plant get well established and to promote a healthy plant. You can divide the rhubarb as well but taking a sturdy serated knife or even a small hand saw and cutting in 1/2 if not really large or 1/4's if really big...you will then have twice or 4 times as many in a couple years. If you do this don't harvest this year and go easy next year taking no more than 1/2 the stalks...after that eat away.

As for the tree, I know the Japanese maples can be finicky. It is best to move when dormant which I assume it may be in your area. If it is budding out already just make sure to provide lots of water and even some shade when the temps start getting hot this year. I prefer to move all my trees in the fall if possible because they seem to do better this way. Kim

onesmallshift
03-03-2009, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the rhubarb advice Kim! I know it would be best to wait till fall to move the tree but I want to increase my garden space and the tree creates a lot of shade. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't kill it if I moved it now.