PDA

View Full Version : Explanation of the term, "BioIntensive", Please?

MoniDew
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi, I know that we have a lot of conversations around here about square-foot gardening, and about the advantages of raised beds over rows, etc. But I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation of the term, "BioIntensive." I know that it is widely used in Europe, involves a lot of organic soil ammendments (like composting) and that it's a great way to grow a lot of plants in a small space. (Wikipedia is useful for something, isn't it? LOL)

Other than that, I don't know much. I believe this is the system Patti started out with, and to some degree still uses. (Patti?)

Anybody know much about this? Can you clue a girl in, please?

Kevin
03-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi, I know that we have a lot of conversations around here about square-foot gardening, and about the advantages of raised beds over rows, etc. But I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation of the term, "BioIntensive." I know that it is widely used in Europe, involves a lot of organic soil ammendments (like composting) and that it's a great way to grow a lot of plants in a small space. (Wikipedia is useful for something, isn't it? LOL)

Other than that, I don't know much. I believe this is the system Patti started out with, and to some degree still uses. (Patti?)

Anybody know much about this? Can you clue a girl in, please?

Hey Monica, I am no expert on this, But I believe the term was originally created to mean the oposite of chemical intensive (fertilizer ,insecticide ) or fossil fuel intensive (oil dependent) methods of farming. Hope this helps . Kevin

gardengirl72
03-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I think Kevin is right on with that. I remember, I have to go and check some books on this one, it being a European thing that the came from France...sometime after the book Silent Spring it came into vogue, but it essentially means being a permaculture, small space, overplanting, square foot gardener that farms worms and bacteria at the base of the food chain that the human is at the top of......how's that for a definition!

kitsapFG
03-03-2009, 10:11 PM
I agree with the definitions provided so far and would go one step further in that my understanding from John Jeavon's writings is that it also means striving to create a closed loop system to the greatest extent possible - i.e. not losing nutrients out of the homestead circle and capturing solar energy and rock mineral nutrients and returning them into the concentrated growing area on the property - maximizing production and reducing outside inputs. This requires growing significant cereal crops to feed the soil as well as the humans. For most of us that is pretty impractical - but a worthy goal to aspire too.

MoniDew
03-04-2009, 07:02 PM
AWESOME definitions, people! Thank you. You've broadened my understanding. Now, I've just got to get started!