PDA

View Full Version : Chickens, what breed is right for YOU?

Fred's Fine Fowl
03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
I know many of you are rearing chickens for many different reasons...

Some have talked about the "meat" and others, their benefits to the garden.

So, how do you decide which breed will best meet your needs? I've put together some information which will get you going in the right direction...

For example, the meat birds, I keep hearing about how fast they grow, how quickly they can be harvested and the Cornish-X fast fleshing out birds. Do you honestly think that short lived chicken tastes better than "slow-food"?

Well, all chicken does not necessarily taste like.. well, chicken.

In this article, I point out some breed differences... want to know more? Please click on the link below and be in the know about which breeds taste best.

Have questions? Please write, I always answer....

Fred

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Happy-Homesteader/Chicken-Breeds.aspx

Kittikity
03-04-2009, 09:49 PM
I personally prefer orpingtons.. Blue and Buff.. They're also dual purpose and pretty to look at..

gardenjoinery
03-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Our Orpingtons, Barred Rocks and Australorps have all proven cuddly, but I have heard that certain breeds are bigger eaters than other, if you buy feed?

Kevin
03-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks Fred, Just yesterday an emolyee at our local feed store was trying to talk me into buying cornish X chicks . After reading your post I think we,ll start looking for barred plymouth rocks. We are already raising Rhode Island Red hens for our eggs, and have been thinking of raising a few birds for the table. Thanks again, Kevin

Kittikity
03-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Gardenjoinery, the only breeds that I've heard of that are big eaters are Jersey Giants, and of course the cornish crosses.. For other breeds, a lot of it might have to do with forage area and how good they are at foraging for themselves, any scraps you feed, etc..

Fred's Fine Fowl
03-05-2009, 06:24 PM
THIS is exactly why there are so many breeds out there...

Each of you has his/her own choices for breeds which suit your purpose.

That's after all, why the breeds were developed in the first place.

From looking pretty, to eating you out of house and home. From Jersey Giants and 11 pound Cochins, to the tiny Surama, there certainly is a breed for everyone and every taste.

You can own a different breed of chicken every year of your life and never own the same breed twice if you so choose.

There are birds which can handle freezing cold, or lighter breeds which survive the arid southwest...

One of you mentioned Orpingtons, the Queen of England has a royal bird keeper and her Buff Opingtons are a prized possession, often appearing in national poultry competitions. Although... (whispering) I don't think the Queen's birds have won anything recently? (">

Even those on a very modest income may compete in the world of poultry showmanship and find themselves on level playing ground with the most affluent.

There is indeed, a chicken for every yard, garden, run, table, coop or country estate.

Enjoy them in all their forms, feathers and color... and thanks again for sharing! OH! I'm going to go outside and see how my phoenix is doing... TTFN

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com