PDA

View Full Version : seedlings started

Warlord
03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't know about anybody else but, my girls & I have just started my tomatoes along with a few other veggies. I know it seems rather early I just couldn't wait. Besides I feel that we may have an early planting season up here in Michigan this year. (always the optomist am I). We started a total of 72 tomato seeds so far. I do plan on selling some and giving some away to friends.
I never really liked tomatoes that much at all up until a few years ago. On a warm spring day when I was working on a powerline right of way. I discussed gardening and seed starting with a property owner. He gave me six different tomato plants that he had started from his own seed. I brought them home and planted them. This was my first ever attemt at gardening. They did fairly well despite my missed opportunity to stake them. While I had been away for my two week guard drill my beloved wife decided to help me out by watering them with quite a bit of Miracle Grow. Boy did they grow! Last year I planted 18 tomato plants so my wife could try her hand at canning. This time I was able to steak them up and we had lots of Super Beefsteak and some San Marzanos. This year I plan on having at least 25 - 30 tomato plants in our garden. I have been reading tips online on how to grow and care for them so I am expecting to have a huge crop by the end of summer. We will have San Marzanos, Big Mama, and Roma which are all paste & sauce tomatoes. We will also have some Super Beefsteak and Rutgers which are for slicing. Nothing like the taste of a nice juicy slice of garden fresh beefsteak tomato on your bbq hamburger with a smooth ice-cold malt beverage(beer). Mmmmm. I will try posting some pictures of our Veggies and other stuff as the year progresses. Till then, c ya in the garden. Warren:cool:

Sinfonian
03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Excellent work! Wow, 72 tomatoes, that is a ton. I'm planting 6 heirlooms including some San Marzanos for myself and 10 different varieties for a friend. I can't imagine planting more.

Impressive. Can't wait to see pics. Mine are all over my blog.

plantoneonme
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Wow Warren that is a lot of tomatoes but then I wouldn't have the space but if I did....well lets just say I probably would do the same. Kim

Backyard Permaculture
03-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Of course you know, miracle grow is not organic

gardenjoinery
03-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Spring is in the air! We started some, too; just couldn't wait.

plantoneonme
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Started 20 different types of tomatoes today and 8 peppers...have lots more pepper seeds but no soil. Will be planting much more in a few days. Kim

new500
03-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Has any one used this and if so how does it do?
Thanks
Tina

plantoneonme
03-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Has any one used this and if so how does it do?
Thanks
Tina

Tina, I read a very long discussion by some very knowledgeable people on another forum and basically the conclusion was they weren't worth the time or money. Kim

Garden Green
03-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Wow, that is a lot of tomatoes! Planning on having a veggie stand?

Warlord
03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Wow, that is a lot of tomatoes! Planning on having a veggie stand?

I plan on selling some when my wife has her yard sale in the spring. We will end up canning most of what we grow in the garden.

gardengirl72
03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
I started almost two hundred tomato plants!

rdsaltpower
03-20-2009, 10:30 PM
I started about 60 plants this year but will be giving some to my relatives to plant. Plan on doing some heavy duty canning this summer.

Cynthia
03-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Patti,
are you planning on selling plants or having a BIG tomato garden?

MoniDew
03-21-2009, 09:55 PM
I second that question...

Because I didn't receive the second half of my seed order, I must now find plants to replace what I didn't start from seed. I'd LOVE to be able to mail-order some tomatoes from Patti, if she'd go along with that.... hint, hint....