PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm Kitty from upstate New York

Kitty
03-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi:),
I'm so happy to have found a gardening forum!
I spend most of my time gardening outdoors in the summer.
With my perenial beds and my vegetable garden I have little time for other things during the warmer weather.
This season I'm very interested in starting strawberries on this huge burm I have on the side of my house. I know it's going to be a challenging project, because it's very steep and loaded with weeds. Hopefully I can get some tips from others on this forum on how to plant strawberries successfully.
I also have to rid of some stubborn flowering plants that have gotten so invasive and have become a real menace in my yard.
They're jerusulem artichokes loaded with flowers on top. Even though I practice organic gardening, I intend on using round up to rid of these pesky flowering plants that I never planted myself. They have taken over my whole back landscape, and now the bushes I did plant when I moved in, have been completely taken over my this menace.
When we had our home built, the person grading our property pushed them from the edge of the farm field next door to us, right up to the back of our home. They have multiplied like crazy and are completely out of control. I have tried everything to get rid of them and the last resort will be the round up. Hopefully this will rid of them for good.
I look forward to meeting and exchanging ideas with others here:D
Kitty

Sinfonian
03-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Welcome Kitty. I hope you find all you're looking for here. Great folks.

HomesteadBaker
03-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Kitty from upstate NY..... I'm Kitty from NW PA! Welcome!

MoniDew
03-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Whoa! I can relate on the Jerusalem artichoke/sunchoke invasion. I made the mistake of planting ONE, thinking we would eat the roots. But they multiplied like CRAZY! Like you said, taking over the yard! I spent YEARS pulling them up in early spring, every year, before they would flower. But they multiply by the roots, so you have to make sure you pull them out by the roots, too. UGH! Finally got rid of (most of) them. LOL!

ecogirl
03-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Welcome! Thanks for coming to our forum!!!

gardengirl72
03-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Welcome for sure. If you raise rabbits they can eat jerusalem artichokes all winter long. Chickens like em too.

"A weed is just a plant missplaced": Looks like that is what your artichokes are for sure.

Kitty
03-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Hello Sinfonian,
It's nice to meet you! I'm looking forward to visiting garden girl's forum and exchanging ideas, plus getting tips for the garden!
Have a wonderful day!
Kitty:)

Kitty
03-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Hello Kitty,
It's so nice to meet you!!!!!!!!!:D
Wishing you a very nice day!
Kitty

Kitty
03-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Hello MoniDew,
It's very nice to meet you!
Thode sunchokes are crazy and out of control in my yard. I tried pulling them out for a few years too. Unfortunately, they kept multiplying.
Now they are beyond pulling, I have 100's of them out there.
Wishing you a very nice day,
Kitty:)

Kitty
03-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Hello Gardengirl72,
It's very nice to meet you!!!!!!
I love this sight! There is so much helpful information here!
Unfortunately, I can't keep rabbits or chickens because of my dog!
Your right about weeds just being misplaced plants.
Wishing you a great day!
Thank you for the vegetable garden link!:)

Blossome
03-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Welcome Kitty.

plantoneonme
03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Hello Kitty..sorry about the JA's I made the same mistake in my flower bed...fought them off for 5 years and still see some popping up at times. I hope you can get yours under control. Kim