PDA

View Full Version : Beet Green And Portabella Mushroom Sandwich

Kitty
03-06-2009, 12:41 PM
:)Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I really love it!
The other day I tried a new recipe I made up for myself using beet greens. When buying beets I always use their greens too, usually sauted with pink beans, garlic, and olive oil tossed with whole grain pasta.
The other day I decided to try it as a sandwich and it was delicious. I'm a vegan and I used this recipe with soy mozzarella, but it can be substituted with cheese if desired.
If anyone is a fan of greens, this is a quick, tasty and easy sandwich to throw together.
Ingredients;
1 bunch of beet greens, cut from the beets
8 baby portabella mushrooms, sliced thin
1 medium cloves of garlic
1 tbs or more of olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 whole grain bun
Mozzerella soy cheese or dairy cheese
Wash and chop the beet greens. Place washed greens and mushrooms in a frying pan with olive oil. Season with sea salt and pepper. Saute until tender and fully cooked over medium heat. You may need to add more olive oil while the greens are cooking. Once your 5 minutes into cooking the greens, add 1 clove of minced garlic to the pan. Continue to cook over medium heat until done.
Remove from pan onto a toasted whole grain bun, place cheese on top and Enjoy! (If desired you can melt the cheese in a microwave or oven.)
Have a great day,
Kitty

shebear
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Well thanks for solving the dinner issue. I have buns and portabellas but no beet greens. Instead I'll use swiss chard which I do have.

I was wondering what I was cooking tonight. Maybe I do have time to make the lemon pie.......hmmmm!

MoniDew
03-06-2009, 04:17 PM
WOW! this sounds delicious! I'm a huge fan of any beany-greenie combinations, and love veggie sandwiches, too. I'll have to try it!

Kitty
03-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Hello Shebear,
It's very nice to meet you:D!!!!!!
I'm happy your going to give this sandwich a try. Any kind of green would go great in this recipe.
Lemon pie! Sounds good!
Wishing you a very nice week!
Kitty:)

Kitty
03-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Hello Moni Dew,
It's so nice to meet you!!!!!!!!!:D
I too love all kinds of greens. I grow a variety of greens in my veggie garden every summer.
I'm sure you'll like this sandwich too!
Wishing you a very pleasant week!
Kitty:)